Whether you are just super busy or just a chronic procrastinator, I know there will be lots of you out there who will be shopping for gifts at the last minute. No matter the reason you are still in need of gifts, I am here to help.
I have been working on an Amazon Idea List just for you last minute shoppers. So make sure to check out my Last Minute Christmas Gifts list. In addition to my list, take a look at the Last Minute Deals page, while you are on Amazon.
Zulily has a Holiday Shop posted, where many items can ship out fast. Those items guaranteed to arrive for Christmas will be marked with a little package symbol.
If you are specifically looking for plus size clothing, then take a look at Simply Be. They now offer two to three day tracked shipping when you upgrade to Express Shipping. And its free when you spend over $100. Most people should be able to order up to the 20th and receive their packages on time for Christmas.
Hautelook offered the following graphic for their cut off dates to get items for Christmas. The picture is clickable if you want to find out what is available on Hautelook.
You can get your Walgreen’s orders shipped to you in time for Christmas if you order by 3 p.m. on December 21st. They have a Holiday Shop page set up to make your Christmas shopping easy. And for you super late shoppers there is same day pick up on all photo gifts. How great of a gift would a mug or a puzzle with a family photo be? And if that isn’t your thing, you can always check where the item you are looking for is available in your town. Every item has a button that says find in store. Simply click that and it will tell you all the stores closest to you that stock the item you are looking for. No more driving all over town searching for it.
Tell me in the comments where your favorite place to do last minute shopping is.
Its that time of year again, turkey and family followed by days of deals. This is always the time to get the best deals on Christmas gifts or just something special for yourself that you wouldn’t normally splurge on.
That’s right it is time for those Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals. Just like last year I will continue to add to the list over the next few days as I find things, but this is going to be the majority of it.
Yes some of the links are affiliate links, but not all of them. Each year I try to give you only a list of the stores I believe to be giving a great deal that you can not get the rest of the year from that store, or at least not most of the year. And just like previous years, this will consist of mainly plus size clothing sales, but it will also have some beauty and other types of products. And this year I have added a section for subscription boxes as well. I will make it easy and list in categories and then in alphabetical order. So, if you are looking for Torrid, look in the plus size fashion section and then look for the T’s. Store names will be clickable and all their sales will be listed below their names.
Coupon code: SAVE20 Activation date: 11/21 Expiration date: 11/22 Discount: Receive 10% off your purchase of $50.00 or more with code SAVE10, 15% off your purchase of $75.00 or more with code SAVE15, or 20% off your purchase of $100.00 or more with code SAVE20
Coupon code: n/a Activation date: 11/21 Expiration date: 11/22 Discount: 50% Off Web Exclusives, 30% Off all sweaters, $20 and under Holiday dresses
Coupon code: n/a Activation date: 11/21 Expiration date: ? Discount: Up to 70% Off Select items, new items will be added. (I have linked to the UK website as that is the one I shop. US customers can shop both the UK and US sites. I like the sizing better on the UK site. But if you prefer there will be a link on their main page to take you to the US site.)
Coupon code: n/a Activation date: 11/20 Expiration date: ? Discount: 50% Off New, 50% Off Sweaters & Cardigans, 40% Off Tutus, Tops Under $30, Pants Under $25, Skirts & Accessories starting at $13, and Dresses starting at $25
Coupon code: BESTWEEK Activation date: 11/18 Expiration date: 11/26 Discount: 25% Off Sitewide & Daily Deals (I will update this each day with the daily deal, as I am not allowed to reveal ahead of time.)
Sunday 11/18: Preview Day – All Week 25% Off Sitewide, Including Sale!
Monday 11/19: Free GWP on order of $50 or more
Tuesday 11/20: $20 & Under Bottoms
Wednesday 11/21: Catch of the Day
Thursday 11/22: $25 Dresses
Friday 11/23: $25 Dresses with New Styles Added
Saturday 11/24: $40 Novelty Skirts
Sunday 11/25: $20 & Under Tops
Coupon code: n/a Activation date:11/22 Expiration date:11/22 Discount: $15 and under doorbuster deals
If you want to see what will be available check out my post from earlier this week about the Sephora Black Friday Sale.
Coupon code: n/a Activation date: 11/23 Expiration date: 11/26 Discount: Get $300 back in Ting credit when you buy iPhone 7 (starting at $449), $200 back when you buy Google Pixel XL for $300 and $100 back when you buy Moto E4 Plus for $169. There will be deals on other phones as well.
If you are seeing this on the day that it is published then today is my birthday. And I wanted to honor my fellow Scorpios. I thought why not do that by sharing a list of great gift ideas for the Scorpio in your life, or something you as a Scorpio might like to treat yourself to.
I personally am not into horoscopes, but have always loved my astrological sign and found the description accurate for me. So don’t be surprised if there are quite a few items that actually feature the Scorpio astrological symbol.
I have a pretty impressive mug collection and I think this would make the perfect birthday mug for any Scorpio. And of course these are available in other signs, there are links on the product page to each individual sign.
If your going to have a mug, you need something to put in it right? I personally love tea, and I am sure a fair amount of you do as well. Now the Scorpio one that I am linking to is showing as temporarily out of stock, but you can sign up for notifications when it comes back in stock. And of course you can get teas for all of the other signs.
My Zodiac Box Subscription
Maybe you want to get a gift for someone who loves their zodiac, but you don’t know what to get them. Why not try out a subscription box. Yep, there is a subscription box for even that. You just fill out a small form with which zodiac sign you want the box for and a couple of other questions and you are good to go. If you are not sure about this one, I will have a review of this product coming in the relatively close future.
So Scorpios don’t have a birthstone, that is a birth month thing. However, the majority of Scorpios are November babies. And back in the day Golden Topaz was the birthstone of November. But I thought this antique looking pendant necklace would be a big hit, even if it’s not your birthstone, with most Scorpios. And because its handmade you can customize the length of the chain to what is a comfortable fit for you.
If you like the idea of a necklace but you are more into delicate small sizes jewelry, this dainty piece from Torrid might be more your style. You can wear it alone or layer it up with another piece of jewelry to really personalize your style.
This one might seem an odd choice for this list to some of you, but I personally think it works on many levels. Scorpios are a water sign, and with the customization feature you could put a picture of your astrological sign, a picture of someone you love, or just something your passionate about. And this is really a gift that could work for anyone.
Personally, I always think soap makes a good gift. And these soaps have a lot of personality, plus they can be customized. You pick the color and the scent. Since they are customizable, I am sure that you could also ask for fragrance free. This seller also has the other zodiac signs.
There are tons of Scorpio themed rings on the market in all sorts of styles. From simple to bold, but this might be one of the most unique. If your buying for someone who really likes to make a statement with their jewelry this might be a winner.
Scorpio Zodiac Journal
If the Scorpio in your life is more of the creative type, then perhaps a journal might be more to their tastes.
If you looking for a gift for that person that wants to proclaim to the whole world they are a Scorpio and why, then this is the way to go It reads, ‘I Am A Scorpio I Was Born With My Heart On My Sleeve A Fire In My Soul And A Mouth I Can’t Control Tees’. This is available in multiple cuts and sizes.
Tell me in the comments if you are shopping for a Scorpio or if you already have. Or are you a Scorpio yourself? Don’t forget to leave a happy birthday wish or just a shout out to your favorite Scorpio.
This took me a little longer to review as I initially started off with just the original Shampoo and Conditioner which I purchased on Amazon. However, shortly after starting to use this shampoo and conditioner I was walking through my local Walgreens and I noticed they have this line store. And, in addition to the Shampoo and Conditioner I had already purchased, they also had a Medicated Anti-Dandruff Shampoo. So I purchased that shampoo and decided to include it in this review.
My Hair And Scalp Type
(notice this section will be in every shampoo and conditioner review for reference. This is for convenience so you do not have to look back at earlier posts)
My hair is very thick and coarse. It tends to be very dry, and can turn brittle if I wash it too often or don’t condition it enough. But my hair is reasonably healthy outside of that, as I do not use heat on it very often and I try to take care of it to the best of my ability.
My scalp goes back and forth between dry and oily depending on the time of the year and the products I have used. My biggest struggle with my scalp is from the allergic contact dermatitis caused by my allergy to Balsam of Peru. This causes a dry, scaly, itchy coverage on the scalp that looks a lot like dandruff. I have never been able to get it fully cleared up on my scalp. At its worst, when I have a reaction to something, it also burns and can blister.
These are all from the Free & Clear hair care line. As previously mentioned, two of these were purchased on Amazon and one from Walgreen’s. All my product links will be to Amazon because they offer it at a slightly better price.
Free & Clear shampoo has been specially created for persons who wish to avoid common chemical irritants found in most ordinary skin and hair care products. It is free of dyes, fragrance, masking fragrance, lanolin, protein, parabens, formaldehyde, and other preservatives.
I had very different experiences with each of these products. I don’t want to lump them all together, so lets talk about each product separately.
I tried the original Shampoo first. And while I think its great that it doesn’t have any fragrance, that was where my love for this shampoo stopped. I suppose it did the job of cleaning, but if anything it did it too well. It seemed to strip my hair from any and all moisture it had. It left my hair feeling very brittle and even after using conditioner my hair was a tangled mess. I can’t feasibly see myself using this again.
So after using the original Shampoo a couple of times I moved on to the Medicated Anti-Dandruff Shampoo. This was somewhat better on my hair, but not by much. It seemed like it was slightly less drying, but overall I just didn’t see the benefit of it.
The conditioner I used with both shampoos. This had quite the opposite effect for me. I think I need some pretty concentrated conditioner at times because of my hair type. And with as much as the shampoos seemed to dry my hair out more than usual, you would think I would need something even stronger than the norm. And this was a highly moisturizing shampoo, just a little too much. I never thought I would fins a conditioner than I thought over did it on my hair, but this conditioner from Free & Clear left my hair feeling like a greasy mess. I can’t even imagine who would be able to use this conditioner. It certainly wouldn’t be anyone with thin hair or with my dryness or less.
The Allergy Effect
When it comes to how my allergy behaved with these, I think I went in with high expectations because they are fragrance free. Though, if you have read anything about the Balsam of Peru allergy, then you know that it’s not your typical fragrance allergy. You can react to lots of things.
Both the original shampoo and the conditioner, I don’t believe I had any sort of reaction to it. However my breakout I already had, it didn’t let it clear up either. And I think that as much as the shampoo dried me out, even if the skin on my scalp would have gotten better it would have had flakes from dryness regardless.
And with the Anti-Dandruff Shampoo, I actually think I had an allergic reaction. I am not sure to what. I can just tell you that within a few minutes of using it my scalp was very itchy. I had double the flakes. It just all around was not good for me. I do think its worth giving a try though if you have a different fragrance allergy than me.
If you have read this all the way through, you probably already know my thoughts are not favorable on these products from Free & Clear. I am sure that these would work for someone out there, I just don’t know who. I think even if I had not had the allergic reaction to the medicated shampoo or if any of them had helped clear up my scalp, I still could not have gotten past the feeling that it was damaging my hair.
I would love to hear in the comments if any of you have tried this brand before and if you like it. Have you tried any of the other products? If so do they perform better than the shampoos and conditioner?
I am on a personal mission this year to find a shampoo and conditioner that both works for my hair type and for my sensitive scalp. To be more specific, I need something to help with my contact dermatitis. I want to go beyond not causing an allergic reaction and find something that will actually help the skin on my scalp.
To keep these reviews relevant to more people than just those with a Balsam of Peru allergy or some other sort of fragrance allergy, in addition to general information about the shampoo each review will be broken down into sections. I will do half of the review just based on how effective it is at cleansing, price, ease of use, etc.. The second part of each review will be based on the effects on my allergy as well as discussion of ingredients used.
I am of mixed heritage, and I don’t have typical white girl hair. My hair is very thick and coarse. It tends to be very dry, and can turn brittle if I wash it too often or don’t condition it enough. But my hair is reasonably healthy outside of that, as I do not use heat on it very often and I try to take care of it to the best of my ability.
My scalp goes back and forth between dry and oily depending on the time of the year and the products I have used. My biggest struggle with my scalp is from the allergic contact dermatitis. This causes a dry, scaley, itchy coverage on the scalp that looks a lot like dandruff. I have never been able to get it fully cleared up on my scalp. At its worst, when I have a reaction to something, it also burns and can blister.
Now that we have covered the basics of what I am looking for in a shampoo and conditioner and what I my particular needs are, lets take a look at the actual shampoo and conditioner we are reviewing today.
I decided to give this set a try because of several reasons. I have had previous good experiences with the Not Your Mother’s Brand, I just hadn’t tried any of their shampoos and conditioners. I also have had relatively good experiences with the main ingredients. Coconut is always good for my skin, and seems to do well in my hair as well. And the blue sea kale, well I have not had a direct experience with it, but other ocean plants like kelp have been successful in the past. Plus since this is a drugstore brand the price is right and it would be easy for me to find at a moments notice.
How It Performed
This shampoo had a lot going for it, and so I was pretty hopeful that I would have a great shampoo. Unfortunately, it fell flat for me. I really expect anything coconut to be super moisturizing. This was not. If anything I felt it was drying, and by the end of washing my hair with it my hair felt a rough.
Now the conditioner fared slightly better, but not by much. Just the nature of what conditioner is means it’s not going to dry my hair out. It did moisturizer, but it just wasn’t the intensity that I needed. And oddly enough, even though the moisture was light, it left my hair feeling weighed down and limp.
Overall, I would say that this shampoo and conditioner is fine for anyone who has thick hair, but it would be best for someone who stays on the oily side. I would not recommend it for coarse hair or dry hair. I also would not recommend the conditioner for anyone with fine, thin hair. I think this set is going to be for a very specific hair type.
The Allergy Affect
When it comes to my Balsam of Peru allergy it can get really complicated as to what will or won’t affect me. You can read the ingredient list and not see anything that looks problematic and it still can be. Then there are also times that you can look at the ingredient list, be really nervous about what’s on the list, and then nothing happen. In this case the ingredient list for both the shampoo and conditioner was rather on the small side compared to a lot of hair care products I have used over the years.
The only ingredient I was the least bit wary of was fragrance. The Balsam of Peru allergy does get classified as a fragrance allergy, but it’s not really. It is used in some fragrances, but not all. So I sometimes react to fragrances, and sometime I don’t. In these cases I know certain scents to stay away from for sure, and for the rest I do a smell test. What I mean is I can usually tell by just smelling the product whether I will react. Upon smelling the product, it seemed like I was in the all clear.
After washing my hair with the Not Your Mother’s Blue Sea Kale & Coconut Water Shampoo and Conditioner everything seemed fine. I thought for a bit I had hit the jackpot on the first shampoo and conditioner I was trying. But unfortunately about three to four hours after washing my hair I started to experience a reaction. Full on itching and burning that led into flaking skin. It fell just short of causing blisters. So this was a fail on the allergy front too.
This shampoo and conditioner from Not Your Mother’s was just not a good match for me. Since I had an allergic reaction, there was definitely no point in trying it a second time. If it were not for the allergic reaction, I probably would have given it at least a second shot just to see if my hair reacted different.
I will be reviewing a lot of shampoos and conditioners this year, so if there is one you would like to see me review leave the name or a link to it in the comments, or alternatively you can send me a message on the contact page. I would love to hear your feedback. Also, tell me in the comments if there is anything more you want to know about the shampoos and conditioners I try. Did I leave some needed information out?
Everyone has at least one beauty lover in their life. But picking a gift for a beauty lover can be difficult and overwhelming if you aren’t really familiar with all the brands and items. And many of the most coveted items can be pricey, and maybe not really in your budget for a typical gift. That is why I have come up with a list of the best gifts available this year for the beauty lover in your life.
I have broken this into three categories: Lips, Eye & Face Palettes, and Everything Else. Most of these items, but not all, can be purchased at multiple locations. But for the sake of this post I will be linking to the stores where I purchased from, unless I find it somewhere cheaper for you. The under $30 price tag is based on full regular price, so no chance for you to have to pay more.
1. Urban Decay Vice Lipstick – Holiday Kiss Collection – Sells for $17. I got mine in the color Rebel which is a Sephora-exclusive metallized nude shade of Urban Decay’s Vice Lipstick. This is perfect for the lipstick collector that loves limited edition.
2. Urban Decay Little Liquid Vices – Sells for $28. Know someone who loves liquid lipstick or has been wanting to try them. With this set you give them the opportunity to try four mini size shades for just a little more that the price of a full size. In this set you get to try two formulas, comfort matte and metallized. And you get the shades Backtalk, Amulet, Purgatory, and Crimson.
3. Urban Decay Little Vices Lipstick Kit – Sells for $25. You get five deluxe samples of Vice Lipsticks for about the same price of one full size lipstick. You get three finishes (cream, comfort matte, and metallized) in the colors Violate, 1993, Double Crossed, Love Drunk, and Mad. This is perfect for the lipstick lover who wants a variety of shades and/or finishes, also great if you are just unsure of what your beauty lover likes in a lipstick.
4. NYX Professional Makeup Meet The Metallics Lip Vault – Sells for $25. A lipstick vault is for the true lipstick fanatic. And you will be hard pressed to find a vault of any kind, even of a drugstore brand, for under $30. In this particular vault you get 12 lip colors. Despite what the name implies, not all of the lipsticks are metallic. You get 6 metallic shades and 6 soft matte lip creams. You get the colors Monte Carlo, Copenhagen, Paris, Budapest, Rome, and Dubai in each of the formulas.
5. Sleek Makeup Mini Major Matte Metallic Set – Sells for $10. (If metallics aren’t your thing, there is also a regular matte version available for the same price.) In this set you get four minis of what they call metallic matte lip gloss. To me I still consider this more of a lipstick, but you be the judge. But it’s definitely something every beauty lover will want to try. And at just $10 its affordable at even the smallest budget.
6. Sephora Favorites Give Me Some Lip – Sells for $28. These lip kits, as well as some of their other kits are quite popular at Sephora. I can not link to the exact one I am showing since I purchased it at a JC Penny’s Sephora and they have their own special ones not available online. However I am linking to one of the most similar ones in regular Sephora’s. I have bought them from both places as they offer different items at both locations. And often when the ones are sold out at regular Sephora’s then they still have plenty in JC Pennys. So always check there if you are looking for one of the Sephora favorites kits.
7. Huda Beauty Contour & Strobe Lip Set – Sells for $25. The Contour & Lip Strobe Sets are packaged in a covetable lip-shaped tin, each set features a full-size Lip Contour, a mini Liquid Matte Lipstick in a complementary shade, and a mini Lip Strobe. This set was originally offered in five shade combos at Sephora. Pictured above is Bombshell & Ritzy which has already sold out at Sephora, I am unsure about other sellers. There are still three shade options left that I think are equally lovely. There is Trendsetter & Snobby, Trophy Wife & Shameless, and Silver Fox & Angelic.
Eye And Face Palettes
1. bh Cosmetics Zodiac Palette – Sells for $21.99. In this palette you get 25 eyeshadows (12 baked shimmers, 12 buttery mattes) and 1 luminous baked highlighter. This palette is slightly reminiscent of the Kat Von D Mi Vida Loca Palette. I think this would be a great gift for any beauty lover who missed out on that palette or anyone who likes unique or themed palettes.
3. Wet N Wild Fantasy Makers Paint Palette – Sells for $13.78. This is a little different from the other palettes. Instead of traditional makeup its is face paint palette, so something for those in your life who love to do costuming and do a lot of makeup with it. The one I am showing is the pastel version, but there are several color options available.
4. Stila Written In the Stars – Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow Set – Sells for $25. (Please note this set has sold out everywhere since I started working on this post. However each of the shades in this set or there is a larger set available if you are looking for sets.) In this set you get three deluxe sizes of the Glitter and Glow Liquid Eye Shadow. Colors included are Diamond Dust, Kitten Karma, and Smokey Storm. These shadows are really fantastic and the perfect gift for the girl who want her eye looks to pop.
5. ColourPop Semi Precious Shadow Palette – Sells for $26.00. This palette contains 8 metallic shades inspired by star stuff and celestial lights. Available online at both Sephora and ColourPop’s websites. Also available in certain Sephora stores. This is a great gift for the Colour Pop fanatic or the beauty lover who always wants to try the latest thing.
6. Femme Couture Naughty Metals Eyeshadow Palette – Sells for $9.99. This palette contains 8 metallic shades perfect for those Holiday looks. If metallics aren’t your thing try the Nice Nudes palette. Really want to elevate your look? Get both and mix shadows from both palettes. The perfect gift for the beauty lover who follows the trends when you are on a tight budget.
7. COL-LAB Pro Eyeshadow Palette Best of the Day – Sells for $14.99. This palette is available in four varieties, I am showing it here in Best Of The Day. Each palette comes with eight colors in three formulas (matte, satins, and metallics). This is from the new exclusive collection at Sally Beauty created by some top YouTube Beauty Gurus. This is the perfect gift for the beauty lover who wants to support her favorite YouTuber.
8. Maybelline The City Mini Palette – Sells for $6.49-$9.99. I purchased mine through Amazon Prime Pantry. That is the cheapest place to purchase it but if you are not a Prime member, then you can also find it at Walgreens. This palette is available in 7 color options, pictured is The Urban Jungle. Each palette contains six shades that are a mix of mattes, shimmers, and metallics. These are the perfect gift for the beauty lover who likes experimenting with bold looks.
9. NYX Cosmetics In Your Element Shadow Palette, Air – Sells for $30. This palette is also available in Wind, Earth, Fire, Metal, and Water versions. The air palette features pastel shades to create ethereal looks. Each palette comes with 12 shade, all except he metal palette offer a mix of textures. The air palette has a mix of mattes, satins and shimmers. This is a perfect gift for the beauty lover who fancies herself a unicorn at heart.
1. Urban Decay Urban Lockdown Travel Duo – Sells for $19.00. This set includes an Optical Illusion Complexion Primer Mini and a Travel Size All Nighter Setting Spray. This is a great gift for the woman who is on the go all day and night, and needs her makeup to stay in place while she is out.
2. Love OPI, XOXO Mini 4 Piece Set – Sells for $14.99. This set comes with four mini colors that are perfect for the holidays. You get Ornament to Be Together, Coalmates, Holidazed Over You, and My Wish List is You. This is the perfect gift for the beauty lover who is obsessed with doing her nails.
3. Nails INC Sparkle Like A Unicorn Set – Sells for $19.00. This set includes one Sparkle Like A Unicorn printed sheet mask, two Mini Nail Polishes in Unicorn Vibes and Unicorn Dot Com, and one Lip Trippin’ Iridescent Strobe Lipstick in Unicorn Tribe. Unicorns are really popular right now with kids and kids at heart. This gift is perfect for the beauty lover who is all unicorns all the time.
4. Clinique Moisture Favorites Set – Sells for $18.50. This set includes three mini size products perfect for travel or just to try the products out. You get a Moisture Surge Hydrating Supercharged Concentrate, a Moisture Surge Face Spray Thirsty Skin Relief, and a Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Color Balm. This is a great gift for the friend that is more into skin care than makeup or someone who has dry dehydrated skin. This is a great choice for sensitive skin types, or if you just don’t know what skin type they have.
5. Bitzy Body Shimmer Spray – As you can see there is no link to this product. That is because since I started working on this post a couple of days ago every place that had it seems to have sold out, at least online. I bought mine at Sally Beauty, so you could possibly find some in your local store. If you want something similar you can get the Glitter Powder Spray from HUBEE on Amazon for around the same price I paid. I personally think this would make a great gift for a young beauty lover or someone who likes to sparkle.
6. Models Own Celestial Lip Glitter Kit in Rose Meteor – Sells for $14.99. Also available in the color Moon Dust. This kit comes with everything you need to do a glitter lip. It can be worn alone or over your own lipsticks. These would make great gifts for the beauty love who loves doing lip art or who follows all the Instagram trends.
So there you have my top picks for beauty gifts under $30. Tell me in the comments if you think I left something out that people should know about. What beauty item is on your wish list this year?
Okay, so I’m not literally allergic to everything. I’m not even sure that is possible, but I’m not a doctor either. However, if you have read any of my past posts about my allergy to Balsam of Peru, then you know I actually only have one allergy but I react to tons of things. So when I travel, or anyone else that may have a contact allergy, I have to think of lots of little extra things to pack that maybe the average person doesn’t. I can’t just go into a hotel and use the soap, shampoo, etc… that they leave out.
So when you have to pack all these extras they can really start to take up a lot of space or you have to go buy a gazillion travel sized containers to put your stuff in. Over time you start to develop new tricks to make the load lighter, especially when you get into air travel and want to make sure you don’t have to check your baggage.
If you have been following me over on Instagram or Twitter, then you probably know I just recently went on vacation. It was during this time that I thought, why not do a blog post about the kinds of things you pack and why. So I snapped a few pictures of various things I took with me while on my trip. Let’s start from there.
This particular trip was a road trip so I had slightly more freedom in how much I packed, but I still didn’t want to let it get out of hand. In order to save space I have taken to packing sample and travel sizes as much as possible. And of course sheet masks are always convenient to pack, and so much lighter than a bunch of bottles of essence.
If I can get my usual products in a travel size, I definitely hold on to them. Your probably thinking, but buying travel sizes is more expensive. And they would be if I were buying them purposely, but I have several ways that I have started acquiring these smaller sized products without spending extra money over what I normally would.
So here are some of the ways I started getting convenient sizes to travel with.
First anytime you make a purchase online from a beauty store like Sephora or Ulta, they always give you samples. If the samples I am given are my choice, then I try to pick anything I know works for my skin first.
If I can’t find a discount code when shopping at those places, then I always scan for codes that give me travel size products or deluxe samples as a bonus. Sephora is especially great for this option.
The various subscription boxes I get almost always include some sort of sample size or travel size products in them each month. The ones I recommend the most for this is the Sephora Play Box, Glossybox, and BomiBox. They all usually include at least a couple of either samples or travel sizes and they are all on the more affordable side of beauty subscription services. BombiBox is a Korean beauty subscription and always is a safe bet for me to find something that is safe for my skin.
If you shop at Walgreen’s and are a rewards member, try checking out at the beauty counter or shopping online and many times you will find sample sizes in your bag/order. Now if you have sensitive skin like me, this option is probably the least likely to yield usable skin products, but you might get a cosmetic sample that also work well for travel.
You may not always be able to get free samples or have things save up like I talked about. I get that these may not be feasible for everyone. But if you find yourself in a bind and you need to purchase some smaller sized items for an upcoming trip, here are the easiest places to get them.
Today I wanted to talk to you about a product that may not interest all of you, but some of you may be very interested. I had hoped to give you a full review, but due to all of the health issues I have been dealing with I am constantly running behind on my blog post and I didn’t want to put this off. So you may end up with a follow-up post on this or at least some post on social media letting you know what I think later. Currently I am only a couple of weeks into taking this. I think a month to a month and a half is really needed to give a full accurate opinion.
So lets talk about what this is. The product is the LOMALUX Dandruff Pill. It is a homeopathic medication (I will talk about what that means in a bit) designed to temporarily relieve the symptoms of dandruff. It is a combination of seven active minerals. It is lactose free, gluten free, and vegan. It does have a warning on the box to not take this if you have kidney disease, under fifty pounds, or breast feeding. So those are some things to consider before taking this. Also, the product claims have not been reviewed by the FDA. I personally don’t care about that factor, but I know some people do, and I want you to be fully informed when I review products like this.
I was interested in reviewing this product because I do have many dandruff symptoms as a part of my contact dermatitis. Ironically I can’t use most dandruff shampoos because they include ingredients that I am allergic to and would trigger my contact dermatitis, in effect causing more dandruff. The couple I have found in Korean brands that do work for me are so expensive I can’t afford them often. I thought if this dandruff pill worked it might be a great alternative option.
Before I go any further on my thoughts about this product and any results I have seen lets talk about what homeopathic medicine is. While homeopathic medicine is considered to be in the field of natural remedies it is not the same as vitamins and minerals people are more commonly familiar with. Homeopathy is based on the idea that like cures like, so a chemical that causes an illness will cure the exact same illness, for the example caffeine would cure sleep loss. Except with homeopathy the thought is the cure needs to be diluted down, and the more diluted it is the more effective the cure. I tend to think of homeopathy as the naturopaths version of a vaccine without needles. If you would like to find out more information on homeopathy works there is a very well explained article on WebMD that does a great job of giving both the perspective of people for and against the use of homeopathic remedies.
My personal experience with homeopathy prior to this had been limited but good experiences, so I was very open to trying the LOMALUX Dandruff Pills. So let’s get on with more about the product and what I have thought so far.
Here is what the actual bottle look like. I have made the pictures clickable so if you want to see the pictures larger to read the ingredient list or the directions.
Front of the bottle
As I said earlier I have only been taking these for a couple of weeks now, so what I can say on how well they work is minimal. I do feel like I am seeing some results. However at this point it is hard to tell if it’s the pills or I am just in less contact with things that re setting my contact dermatitis off.
While I haven’t found the pills to have a bad taste or cause me heartburn, there have been some things I found challenging in taking these. First off you are supposed to take these first thing in the morning or right before bed on an empty stomach, and with nothing but water within an hour of taking the pills. This is a big challenge for me since I typically have a cup of coffee as soon as I get up in the morning, and at night right before bed is when I take all of my medicine, some of which requires I eat a little something with it. But also there is the size and texture of the pills. I have never been one of those people who have had a difficult time taking pills, even if they are large. But let me show you what we are actually talking about:
They are quite large and have a chalky texture. I found it hard to get them to go down without sticking in my throat. I definitely can not take more than one of these at a time, and I have to be very careful how I swallow when I do.
One other thing to be aware of if you are interested in taking these, the dosage is based on your weight. This makes sense for a lot of things, but with this it can lead to some pretty large amounts of pills you are taking. I think most of us that are plus size are going to the categories of taking either six, eight, or ten pills a day.
So at this point your probably wondering if its worth taking the pills. Honestly, I can’t answer that for you, I can only tell you what I think for myself. And yes, as long as I continue to see improvements in condition, I absolutely think it is worth it.
If you are interested in trying this product out yourself you can find it on the LOMALUX website. You can also find it in the vitamin isle at select Walgreens.
I did receive this complimentary bottle from the company for review purposes. However, all opinions are my own.
Tell me in the comments below if you have tried any homeopathic treatments before and what your experience with it is.
Just this past summer my local Walgreens made some major changes to their cosmetics section of the store. They started having staff on hand at the makeup counter all the time to answer questions and check you out. They now give product samples to you when you buy cosmetics at the beauty counter. And they launched two new lines in store that you don’t usually see at the pharmacy here. One was Soap & Glory and the other was No7 from The Boots Company. They both got pretty prominent displays near the front of the store and quite a bit of advertising.
I was not really familiar with either brand. Soap & Glory I had seen a few times when I was walking through Ulta in the past and random post on social media, but that was about it. And No7, I don’t remember ever hearing about it before, but since its launch in Walgreens I have heard a fair bit about how great it is.
I decided I wanted to make an effort to try some things from both brands. I mean with everything I had heard about both of these brands I should be able to find some solid items that I love. So back at the end of November I was walking through the cosmetics in Walgreens and I saw the first of the Christmas products was out. I noticed No 7 had a little eyeshadow palette out.
It is called the Glamorous Nudes Eye Palette. This palette is available both in store and online, but it does say it is limited edition. The colors looked good, and it was only $10, can’t go wrong. At least that is what I thought. Yeah….Spoiler Alert!!! I didn’t like this palette.
I generally don’t like to do negative reviews, but this is one of those things that if I can help someone save their money I have to do it. Don’t get me wrong, there are some aspects of this palette that I liked, but we will get into that as we go. First lets take a look at the actual product.
The palette itself feels pretty sturdy, I am actually not sure if its metal or plastic. My best guess is its a very light weight metal. The size is about the size of my hand. As far as packaging goes this was one area I really liked about this palette.
As you look inside there is a full mirror on the top od the case. I also liked that about the palette. I am afraid that is where the positives stop for me and it all goes down hill.
There is a small brush included with the palette, however it is pointless in being there. I don’t mind small brushes since I have hooded lids, but this brush does not pick anything up and is not full enough to use as a blending brush.
There are eight colors included in the palette. Nowhere online or on the packaging tells you names of the shadows or what type they are. The cardboard overwrap may have had something on it, but that got tossed in the trash before I even thought about writing this post. So since I have nothing to go by I will give you my best educated guess as to what is included and a description of the colors.
There appear to be four satins, three shimmers, and one glitter eyeshadow. Starting at the top from left there is cream color(satin), a peachy flesh tone (shimmer), a light silvery blue (glitter), a grayish brown(satin). Then on the bottom row from the left a light tan color(satin), a sort of bronzy brown(shimmer), light taupe brown(satin), and a medium brown(shimmer).
I did finger swatches below for you. They are in the same order as listed above. The first two shadesare barely visible at all because of how close they are to my skin tone. As I said, these are finger swatches, yet you can see that they still are barely visible. Usually finger swatches will give you better coverage than what a brush will, and that is still true here.
I tried to take pictures once I did an eye look with these shadows, but there was really no point. There is just no pigmentation. Even with lots of build up they barely showed up on me. The only one that had any amount of color was the one glitter shadow, but you can’t really make an eye look with it alone. And when I tried to add multiple colors they really all started to muddy up and look alike.
I would not recommend this palette, not even for a gift. I am on the paler side and I couldn’t get these shadows to show up on me. You might, and this is a big might, have better success if you fall in the porcelain range of skin tones.
I personally am passing mine on to my very young teenage niece who wants to start playing with makeup. The pigmentation is so little in this, I figured she can’t do much damage with this. Not much chance of having overdone eyeshadow when she walks out of the house.