I have another subscription box review for you. If you missed the last subscription box review, we took a look at the new beauty box Yes! Oh Yas!. You can also find all of the subscription box reviews I have done by going to any page here on the blog, find the green bar under my logo and click on the down facing arrow. You should see a search box and you can search for subscription box reviews.
For this review we are going to take a look at two moths from a box at once. We will be looking at the Macy’s Beauty Box for the months of September and October of 2018. I wanted to take a look at both months at once because by all accounts everyone has said that the September box was unusual for this subscription.
Service Name: Macy’s Beauty Box
Price: $15 a month and no charge for shipping (You do get a Macy’s coupon in the box each month that does help offset the cost a bit)
Where Is It Available: Direct quote from Macy’s website:
Macy’s Beauty Box is currently only available in the 48 contiguous United States. We cannot ship to PO Boxes, APO/FPO/GPO address, Hawaii, Alaska or U.S. Territories at this time.
Who To Get It For: This box doesn’t really offer gift subscriptions, but you could order it for someone else with a bit of finagling. You can also get the box for yourself. This box is best for someone who prefers a skin care heavy box and enjoys trying more high-end products. While any age can use it, it does appear the majority products are more targeted towards women 40 and over.
What You Get: Each month you are to receive five deluxe sample sizes(meaning no packet size samples), a bonus item (this could be a packet sample or perfume but usually a perfume), a collectible cosmetics bag, and a coupon to use on beauty products at Macy’s.
Drawbacks: If you don’t like getting mostly skin care in your subscription, this probably won’t be for you. Also, if you are not really a Macy’s shopper the advantage of the coupon that comes with this subscription is probably not going to actually make it worth it to you.
The Details: Every month your order arrives in a Macy’s box. It’s the same kind of box any other Macy’s order arrives in.
When you open the box you will find your bag for the month and small brochure that has all the info on what you received.
The above picture shows how the bag from September came out of the box. The brochure for this box posts spoilers on the front, so if you are the type that likes to be surprised as you take your items out, you might want to avoid the brochure until you are done.
Inside the brochure you will find a list of the products you received. They also tell the price of the full size version. And inside the brochure is where your coupon for the month is located. (Just a side note about the coupons, they are usually $5, but sometimes they send out $10 coupons. You have about two months to use them. And you are not required to spend a certain amount. The only requirement is it be on a beauty purchase)
Now lets take a look at each of the months individually and what came with it, starting with September.
In the background you can see the bag unrolled. It was quite large, and the first thing that was unusual about this month. It is a drawstring gym bag I think. Most of these bags have a theme, and this months was all related to things you use pre and post workout. Inside this months brochure was a $10 coupon. Here is what is in the bag from left to right:
- Donna Karen Cashmere Mist Deodorant – The full size which is 1.7 oz sells for $27. What you receive in the box is the mini size, which is 1 oz.. From what I can tell, you can purchase the mini size on its own. You can get it in a 3-Piece set. I estimate the value to be about $15.89 for this size.
- Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castile Liquid Soap – The full size is 16 fluid oz. and sells for $11. What was sent in the box is 2 oz. and can not be purchased at Macy’s. I estimate the value for this size to be $1.38.
- Yuni Shower Sheets – A 12 pack is the only thing available on Macy’s website. There seems to be a discrepancy between what the brochure says the price is, and what it is on their website. The brochure says $22, and the website says $15. We only received one in the box and I am estimating the value based on the price listed on the website. I estimate it to be $1.25.
- Sunday Riley Good Genes – This is available in two sizes on Macy’s Website, so I have linked to the search page that shows both. In the brochure they have the 1 oz, size listed, and that sells for $105. The size received inside the box was .17 oz., and I estimate the value to be $17.85.
- Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Balm in Super Strawberry – A full size of this product is .1 oz. and sells for $18.50. The mini size that is sent in this box .04 oz. You can’t buy this on its own at the moment, but I believe there have been times you could at Sephora. You can get it in set, but that is it. I estimate the value to be $7.40.
Bonus Items: So it says you get one bonus item, but the couple of months I have gotten this, we received two. It has been fragrances both time, and each time they sent both a woman’s and a man’s from the same brand. This month it was from Jimmy Choo. The woman’s fragrance was Jimmy Choo Fever and the man’s fragrance was Jimmy Choo Man Blue.
My personal thoughts on this months bag is that, overall as a theme and the bag that was sent, it’s not what I like. There were some products I am happy to try. I had been wanting to try the Sunday Riley Good Genes, but finding it hard to bite the bullet and buy it without trying first. And the Yuni Shower Sheets seem like a good thing to me. I definitely have uses, just not for the gym. I do like Chubby Sticks, but this color and one other seems to be the only thing they put in sets, so I already have a bunch of this same color. I most likely will pass it on to someone or put it in a giveaway. Same pretty much goes for the bag and the rest of the products.
Now lets take a look at what arrived in the October box:
October’s theme is all about the eyes, and I think the products make more sense in this box. Not that the previous months didn’t make sense to the theme, but this one you just don’t have to think nearly as hard about it. The makeup bag has a set of lashes on one side, and on the other side it says All About The Eyes. This months brochure included a $5 coupon to use. Now lets take a look at the products received, going left to right:
- Girlactik Precise Eyeliner Marker in Black Noir – This product was actually sent in a full size. That was a little surprising from a sample bag. It is .041 oz and sells for $20.
- Bareminerals Prime Time Eyelid Primer – The full size sells for $19. There doesn’t seem to be any information on how many ounces of product you get in a full size, so I can’t really calculate an estimated value for the sample. However, I can tell you the sample size is .05 oz.
- Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Supercharged Complex – The full size is .5 oz. It sells for $62 on Macy’s website. The size sent in this months box is .1 oz. I estimate the value of this item to be $12.40
- philosophy Purity Made Simple Eye Gel – The full size is .5 oz and sells for $24. This is another item that I am relatively certain I have seen available for sale in the mini size at Sephora on occasion. The mini that was sent is .1 oz. and I estimate the value to be $4.80.
- Lancôme Monsieur Big Waterproof Mascara – The full size contains .33 oz and sells for $25. The size received in the bag is .06 oz. I estimate the value of this item to be $4.54
Bonus Item: This month also came with two fragrance samples, one for women and one for men. This time both samples are from Calvin Klein. The women’s fragrance is Calvin Klein Women Eau de Parfum. The men’s fragrance is Eternity for Men
My personal thoughts on this months is slightly more complicated that the box for September. I love the bag that was sent. And overall, I think I will at least try most of the products. I thought it was nice there was a full size product included, and its price alone is more than the box itself. But there isn’t really anything in the box I felt excited about. I don’t hate the box, but I’m not ecstatic either.
Where To Sign Up: If you are interested in trying this box out for yourself you can sign up on Macy’s Website in the Beauty Section.
Final Thoughts: I have one more month coming for this box. I generally like to try boxes for three months before I make a final decision about keeping it or not. Honestly, I have already cancelled this one, but maybe next months will be so amazing it will change my mind about keeping it. I personally would have liked to seen an even split on makeup and skin care in this type of box.
Tell me in the comments below what you think about this box. Do you get this box?