The last time I posted about a new store was when Torrid’s sister store Lovesick came around, and of course we know the head corporation has put them on pause for now. But as of recent a few new stores in various categories have come under my radar. Some I found out about because the companies have reached out to me, and some I just happened to stumble upon myself. But I thought since I am still in that period where I am having issues with health, now might be a great time to do some less labor intensive posts like share some info on these new stores.
Today I want to introduce you to Riley Rose. I found out about Riley Rose when the company emailed me asking me to join their affiliate program. Now if you read my post about affiliate links, you know lots of companies contact me all the time. But 90% of them have no interest to me or have nothing to do with any of the things I blog about. But once I took a look at the Riley Rose website, I knew they were a company made for me and so many of you.
Riley Rose is a beauty and lifestyle brand created by the same company that owns Forever 21. Chances are there is not a store close to you at this point, as they are pretty new and only have a handful of stores. The closest location to me right now seems to be in Chicago. But the great news is we can always order over the internet and they offer free shipping with any order of $40 or more.
They carry a variety of makeup, skin care, hair care, accessories, and home décor. And while they are owned by Forever 21, they do carry things that will appeal to all ages. Just in the skin care line alone there is a range of high-end brands, indie brands, Korean/Asian brands, and brands that cater to the all natural lovers. There is something for every budget as well.
One of the things that stood out to me was the variety of brands that they carry are ones that I either already use or had a lot of interest in. The mix is typically ones I would have to shop two or three stores to get, or even in some cases purchase directly from the brand because I can’t find them anywhere else.
I have placed an order with Riley Rose, but we will talk about what I order once I get it. I most likely will do a review at that point. But for now I wanted to share a few of the interesting products that I spotted on the Riley Rose website. Each of the pictures will be clickable if you want to find the product on the Riley Rose website.
Quay Australia High Key Sunglasses
Tony Moly Angel Glow Ring Hair Mask
Decoflair Pineapple Luxe Candle
Lime Crime Diamond Crushers – Black Unicorn
Blossom Crystal Lip Balm – Purple Flower
Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow – Into the Blue
This is obviously just a small representation of the brands and products they offer. Make sure to check out the website for yourself. And tell me in the comments below what you think and what your favorite product is.
Everyone has at least one beauty lover in their life. But picking a gift for a beauty lover can be difficult and overwhelming if you aren’t really familiar with all the brands and items. And many of the most coveted items can be pricey, and maybe not really in your budget for a typical gift. That is why I have come up with a list of the best gifts available this year for the beauty lover in your life.
I have broken this into three categories: Lips, Eye & Face Palettes, and Everything Else. Most of these items, but not all, can be purchased at multiple locations. But for the sake of this post I will be linking to the stores where I purchased from, unless I find it somewhere cheaper for you. The under $30 price tag is based on full regular price, so no chance for you to have to pay more.
1. Urban Decay Vice Lipstick – Holiday Kiss Collection – Sells for $17. I got mine in the color Rebel which is a Sephora-exclusive metallized nude shade of Urban Decay’s Vice Lipstick. This is perfect for the lipstick collector that loves limited edition.
2. Urban Decay Little Liquid Vices – Sells for $28. Know someone who loves liquid lipstick or has been wanting to try them. With this set you give them the opportunity to try four mini size shades for just a little more that the price of a full size. In this set you get to try two formulas, comfort matte and metallized. And you get the shades Backtalk, Amulet, Purgatory, and Crimson.
3. Urban Decay Little Vices Lipstick Kit – Sells for $25. You get five deluxe samples of Vice Lipsticks for about the same price of one full size lipstick. You get three finishes (cream, comfort matte, and metallized) in the colors Violate, 1993, Double Crossed, Love Drunk, and Mad. This is perfect for the lipstick lover who wants a variety of shades and/or finishes, also great if you are just unsure of what your beauty lover likes in a lipstick.
4. NYX Professional Makeup Meet The Metallics Lip Vault – Sells for $25. A lipstick vault is for the true lipstick fanatic. And you will be hard pressed to find a vault of any kind, even of a drugstore brand, for under $30. In this particular vault you get 12 lip colors. Despite what the name implies, not all of the lipsticks are metallic. You get 6 metallic shades and 6 soft matte lip creams. You get the colors Monte Carlo, Copenhagen, Paris, Budapest, Rome, and Dubai in each of the formulas.
5. Sleek Makeup Mini Major Matte Metallic Set – Sells for $10. (If metallics aren’t your thing, there is also a regular matte version available for the same price.) In this set you get four minis of what they call metallic matte lip gloss. To me I still consider this more of a lipstick, but you be the judge. But it’s definitely something every beauty lover will want to try. And at just $10 its affordable at even the smallest budget.
6. Sephora Favorites Give Me Some Lip – Sells for $28. These lip kits, as well as some of their other kits are quite popular at Sephora. I can not link to the exact one I am showing since I purchased it at a JC Penny’s Sephora and they have their own special ones not available online. However I am linking to one of the most similar ones in regular Sephora’s. I have bought them from both places as they offer different items at both locations. And often when the ones are sold out at regular Sephora’s then they still have plenty in JC Pennys. So always check there if you are looking for one of the Sephora favorites kits.
7. Huda Beauty Contour & Strobe Lip Set – Sells for $25. The Contour & Lip Strobe Sets are packaged in a covetable lip-shaped tin, each set features a full-size Lip Contour, a mini Liquid Matte Lipstick in a complementary shade, and a mini Lip Strobe. This set was originally offered in five shade combos at Sephora. Pictured above is Bombshell & Ritzy which has already sold out at Sephora, I am unsure about other sellers. There are still three shade options left that I think are equally lovely. There is Trendsetter & Snobby, Trophy Wife & Shameless, and Silver Fox & Angelic.
Eye And Face Palettes
1. bh Cosmetics Zodiac Palette – Sells for $21.99. In this palette you get 25 eyeshadows (12 baked shimmers, 12 buttery mattes) and 1 luminous baked highlighter. This palette is slightly reminiscent of the Kat Von D Mi Vida Loca Palette. I think this would be a great gift for any beauty lover who missed out on that palette or anyone who likes unique or themed palettes.
3. Wet N Wild Fantasy Makers Paint Palette – Sells for $13.78. This is a little different from the other palettes. Instead of traditional makeup its is face paint palette, so something for those in your life who love to do costuming and do a lot of makeup with it. The one I am showing is the pastel version, but there are several color options available.
4. Stila Written In the Stars – Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow Set – Sells for $25. (Please note this set has sold out everywhere since I started working on this post. However each of the shades in this set or there is a larger set available if you are looking for sets.) In this set you get three deluxe sizes of the Glitter and Glow Liquid Eye Shadow. Colors included are Diamond Dust, Kitten Karma, and Smokey Storm. These shadows are really fantastic and the perfect gift for the girl who want her eye looks to pop.
5. ColourPop Semi Precious Shadow Palette – Sells for $26.00. This palette contains 8 metallic shades inspired by star stuff and celestial lights. Available online at both Sephora and ColourPop’s websites. Also available in certain Sephora stores. This is a great gift for the Colour Pop fanatic or the beauty lover who always wants to try the latest thing.
6. Femme Couture Naughty Metals Eyeshadow Palette – Sells for $9.99. This palette contains 8 metallic shades perfect for those Holiday looks. If metallics aren’t your thing try the Nice Nudes palette. Really want to elevate your look? Get both and mix shadows from both palettes. The perfect gift for the beauty lover who follows the trends when you are on a tight budget.
7. COL-LAB Pro Eyeshadow Palette Best of the Day – Sells for $14.99. This palette is available in four varieties, I am showing it here in Best Of The Day. Each palette comes with eight colors in three formulas (matte, satins, and metallics). This is from the new exclusive collection at Sally Beauty created by some top YouTube Beauty Gurus. This is the perfect gift for the beauty lover who wants to support her favorite YouTuber.
8. Maybelline The City Mini Palette – Sells for $6.49-$9.99. I purchased mine through Amazon Prime Pantry. That is the cheapest place to purchase it but if you are not a Prime member, then you can also find it at Walgreens. This palette is available in 7 color options, pictured is The Urban Jungle. Each palette contains six shades that are a mix of mattes, shimmers, and metallics. These are the perfect gift for the beauty lover who likes experimenting with bold looks.
9. NYX Cosmetics In Your Element Shadow Palette, Air – Sells for $30. This palette is also available in Wind, Earth, Fire, Metal, and Water versions. The air palette features pastel shades to create ethereal looks. Each palette comes with 12 shade, all except he metal palette offer a mix of textures. The air palette has a mix of mattes, satins and shimmers. This is a perfect gift for the beauty lover who fancies herself a unicorn at heart.
1. Urban Decay Urban Lockdown Travel Duo – Sells for $19.00. This set includes an Optical Illusion Complexion Primer Mini and a Travel Size All Nighter Setting Spray. This is a great gift for the woman who is on the go all day and night, and needs her makeup to stay in place while she is out.
2. Love OPI, XOXO Mini 4 Piece Set – Sells for $14.99. This set comes with four mini colors that are perfect for the holidays. You get Ornament to Be Together, Coalmates, Holidazed Over You, and My Wish List is You. This is the perfect gift for the beauty lover who is obsessed with doing her nails.
3. Nails INC Sparkle Like A Unicorn Set – Sells for $19.00. This set includes one Sparkle Like A Unicorn printed sheet mask, two Mini Nail Polishes in Unicorn Vibes and Unicorn Dot Com, and one Lip Trippin’ Iridescent Strobe Lipstick in Unicorn Tribe. Unicorns are really popular right now with kids and kids at heart. This gift is perfect for the beauty lover who is all unicorns all the time.
4. Clinique Moisture Favorites Set – Sells for $18.50. This set includes three mini size products perfect for travel or just to try the products out. You get a Moisture Surge Hydrating Supercharged Concentrate, a Moisture Surge Face Spray Thirsty Skin Relief, and a Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Color Balm. This is a great gift for the friend that is more into skin care than makeup or someone who has dry dehydrated skin. This is a great choice for sensitive skin types, or if you just don’t know what skin type they have.
5. Bitzy Body Shimmer Spray – As you can see there is no link to this product. That is because since I started working on this post a couple of days ago every place that had it seems to have sold out, at least online. I bought mine at Sally Beauty, so you could possibly find some in your local store. If you want something similar you can get the Glitter Powder Spray from HUBEE on Amazon for around the same price I paid. I personally think this would make a great gift for a young beauty lover or someone who likes to sparkle.
6. Models Own Celestial Lip Glitter Kit in Rose Meteor – Sells for $14.99. Also available in the color Moon Dust. This kit comes with everything you need to do a glitter lip. It can be worn alone or over your own lipsticks. These would make great gifts for the beauty love who loves doing lip art or who follows all the Instagram trends.
So there you have my top picks for beauty gifts under $30. Tell me in the comments if you think I left something out that people should know about. What beauty item is on your wish list this year?
There are going to be lots of sales all over the web for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I wanted to get this up as fast as I could, so I will come back and add the sales as I find out about them. Also feel free to mention any sales I missed in the comments or links to any stores that don’t fit these two categories. I won’t be posting much, just the links to the store and a list of any sales that are applicable as well as when they start. I will divide this up into two section, plus size stores and beauty stores.
Pre Black Friday Sale – 200 items up to 60% off. Already started. (I have not read anything regarding an actual Black Friday Sale, but I would guess this same sale will extend on into Friday maybe with some additional items added.)
Free Shipping no minimum purchase necessary. From 11/18 to 11/25
Black Friday extended sale – Cashmere Sweaters Just $19.50, Velour Tracksuits Starting at $19.50, Ribbed Sweaters Just $19.50, Ponte Leggings Just $19.50, Puffer Vests Just $29.50, Denim Just $19.50, and Packaged Sleep for $19.50/$24.50. From 11/18 to 11/26.
25% Off When You Spend $75, Combinable with Black Friday sale prices. From 11/22 to 11/26.
Cyber Monday Preview (for select customers) – 30% Off Site Wide. On 11/26 from 6PM to Midnight Only.
30% Off entire purchase, online only. From 11/27 to 11/28.
Drastically discounted daily deals each day. From 11/20 to 11/27. Deals start on the date listed at 4PM PST and end 24 hours later.
Daily Deal: Catch of the Day! 11/22/ (Sort of Like ModCloths mystery sale, pay flat fee for a mysteryDaily item. $5 to $25)
Daily Deal: $25 Dresses (select styles only)11/23
Daily Deal: More $25 Dresses added to the sale. (select styles only)11/24
You know I love a series here on the blog. So here is another series, Top Ten. For right now I will be sticking to various beauty and skin care favorites. I will see after I get finishes with everything if I want to move on to another area. Only time will tell.
As you can tell by the title of this post, our first Top Ten will be Liquid Foundations and BB Creams for Dry and/or Textured Skin. I wanted to make sure I covered this because I always seem to have a hard time finding information on the face products for dry skin.
These won’t be in any particular order of favor, just a list of ten. I have decided to mix both liquid foundations and BB Creams because they serve a similar purpose, just a different amount of coverage. This is probably going to be the only makeup list where you won’t find any drugstore picks, though there is definitely at least one option that is priced like a drugstore brand. While I certainly like drugstore brands for a lot of things, there are only a couple that don’t contain a derivative or chemical twin of Balsam Of Peru, and unfortunately I don’t find them to be great on my dry textured skin.
This probably has the least amount of coverage out of all of the ones I am including on this list. This is one of a couple that I like for good skin days and I just want to go really casual, but I want more than bare skin. I have heard some people complain that this has shimmer in it. Don’t be concerned if you see this in yours. What you are actually seeing is the physical sunscreen that is used. Once the product is applied to your skin it is no longer noticeable.
As funny as this may sound, this is the foundation that got away. And I will explain. I had received some samples of this awhile back. None of the shades on the sample card matched me, but there was one close enough that I gave it try since I wasn’t really going anywhere that day. I loved the way this one wore and made my skin feel. And if you read up on this foundation you will find it has almost skin care like qualities. Top it off with a price that isn’t bad. I was excited to find a color match. I made my way to Sephora the next week and promptly found out that Clinique just does not make shades that matches me. But I honestly still wanted to include this in the list for all you ladies who have more of a red undertone to your skin. It really impressed me that much, someone should be wearing it.
This is the most economical choice out of the group selling for just $12.00. Out of all of the BB Creams that made the list, this has the most coverage. Maybe it’s because this is more than just a BB Cream. It is a multi-function all in one cream base, acts as BB, CC and primer. I even use this sometimes as an under eye concealer.
This is the one with the most coverage on my list. It is listed as a medium coverage, however I feel it is closer to full coverage. This one works well on dry skin, but not as well on textured skin. It won’t settle in fine lines, so it also works well for aging skin.
If you love all things Hyaluronic Acid like I do, you may fall in love with this foundation. It behaves like a BB Cream with the coverage of a foundation. Great for mature and dry skin. It has that great cooling sensation that you get with any product with Hyaluronic Acid. And like all products from Hourglass it is fragrance free and made without the harsh chemicals.
There are four different Dr. Jart+ BB Cream formulas. This is one of the two that I have on this list. This is the most moisturizing formula they have, and it will leave you with a dewy look. I really love the dewy look, but this one I always feel I have to use a setting powder with or it will transfer.
7. Dr. Jart+ Black Label Detox BB Beauty Balm
The second BB Cream I like from Dr. Jart+ is this Black Label One. Almost as moisturizing, but the finish isn’t quite as dewy. This one is recommended for normal or combination skin, but I feel like it works just as well on my dry skin. I never feel like I have to use a setting powder with this one, but when I do I still don’t feel like I look dry.
This gives you the dewiest look possible and a head start on highlight. This one always wears perfectly on my dry skin. In a lot of ways I would say my skin might even look better after wearing it. The cap which doubles as a dropper has a learning curve to it, but it’s not too hard to figure out. This is one of the more expensive ones on the list, but from my perspective it is worth the price.
This gives the most natural looking skin out of the foundations that I have listed. It has sheer to buildable coverage, hence the Sheer part of the name. Now since it has the Glow in the name you might think it will have a radiant dewy finish like the stila foundation, but it does not. The foundation is more of a Satin. There is a glow but it is very subtle.
This one also has a dewy radiant finish, but it is somewhere in between the NARS foundation and the stila one. As you can see this foundation won the Best of Beauty Award from allure last year. I think out of all the foundation choices, this one has the potential to work with the most skin types.
Let me know in the comments below what your favorite foundation is. And let me know what you would like me to push to the front of the line for this top ten series.
Thanks to our friends over at Influenster I got another VoxBox. This time it was a much coveted makeup box. I received the Maybeline Super Stay 24 Color Liquid Lipstick in two colors. I was sent Constant Toast 136 and Keep Up The Flame 025. These lipsticks are available in 30 different shades. You can see a full list of colors available here.
Constant Toast looks a little like a light brown nude in the package, but on the lips it looks more like a pinky peach nude. And Keep Up The Flame is a brick red color, though I thought the it looked slightly more like a true red on the lips but not by much.
In my voxbox it came with a card that had instructions for application and a list of product claims. I would like to note that there were no instructions on the actual products on their boxes. I think that without the instructions, this could be a product that could go terribly wrong.
So first lets talk about what the product claims to do. Here is what is says:
Meet the wonder that stretches the limits of longwear lip color, SuperStay 24 Lip color. This longwear lip color won’t cake, dry, flake, or fade thanks to our unique Microflex technology that leaves lips feeling fresh through 24 hours of wear.Sounded great to me, but I was more than a bit dubious. It’s hard to not be doubtful. I have tried so many liquid lipsticks and it seem like you have two option. You can either have the super matte liquid lipsticks that last a long time, but not a full 24 hours. And you still can’t really eat and drink what you want with them on without them wearing off, and usually in a really unflattering way. But with these you have to worry about them being painfully drying, or if your like me and have natural lip creases from birth and dry lips they look horrible on most of the time. Or you can choose the non matte ones, and they will last a little longer than a traditional lipstick and wear away gracefully, but the extra time they last is just not that much. And at least they aren’t painful on the lips. But to find a color that will last through anything and not be drying? Really.
So to give it the best chance of working the way it says it would I also wanted to follow their instruction. Here is what it says to do:
Apply liquid lip color to clean, bare lips. (Helpful tip: if you have dry and/or peeling lips it is best to use a lip scrub and balm prior to application, just make sure to wipe it off prior to use.)Allow two minutes to dry, then apply the ultra conditioning balm to seal in moisture. (Helpful tip: don’t allow your lips to touch during the dry down time.)
Reapply balm as needed. (I found for me personally it was mainly necessary after eating and drinking.)
Remove with an oil-based makeup remover.
The helpful tips parts are my own notes I wanted to share after some trial and error. The rest was what was on the notecard.
I wanted to really test these out fully. It said it would last 24 hours so I decided I was going to wear one of them a full 24 hours even if that meant sleeping in it. So I tested out Constant Toast first because it was the lighter color and I didn’t want to end up with red all over my sheets just in case it did have transfer. I used my cell phone to take these pictures so I would be sure to have a time stamp. So let’s go over how each of these lasted through the day, and then I will give you my thoughts on the product.
Here is a closer look at what Constant Toast looks like. It’s very obviously a nude color. I wasn’t really planning on going anywhere the first couple of days that I tested these lipsticks out, I decided not to bother with any other makeup. I only concentrated on the application of the lipstick and checking in often to see how it was wearing.
Here I am applying Constant Toast at 5:16 A.M. in the morning. You can see constant toast is pretty close to my own lip color. It’s probably what some people would call a better than my lip color, but I don’t know that I think that.
After applying I had my morning coffee like I do every morning when I first get up.
And this is my first check in at 5:43 A.M. and everything still looks good.
At 8:39 A.M. is the first time I feel compelled to use the lip balm again. I wasn’t to the point where my lips felt painful, but its like it would be on the average day when I would use a regular lip balm.
I had to run to my mail box and decided to do a check in while I was in the sunshine. This was at 12:32 P.M. As you can see it still looks fully in tact.
When I got back from running my errands I had a light snack and this left me needing to apply the balm again at 1:39 P.M.
And here is my last check in for the day at 5:37 P.M. after dinner. I did reapply the balm one more time before going to bed.
And after sleeping in the lipstick all night long here is my last check in after waking up at 5:00 A.M. You can see that it is still there, however some of it has worn off in spots. And of course my lips are a little dry looking. I of course have no way of knowing at what time it started to wear off since I was asleep.
Up next was the color Keep Up The Flame. I felt like I had already tested the formula well, so I didn’t really need to test it to that extent, but I did still do some check ins during the day.
It is obviously a brick red color. A little on the dark side, but not super dark.
This was not long after I applied the lipstick. It actually looks okay in the picture, but this color was very hard to apply. It kept wanting to slip outside the lip line. Once the dry down happened there were no more problems, it was only while trying to apply it. I wore it a second time and had the same issue, but it was some easier if I wiped a lot of the product off of the applicator.
This was more to the end of the day. It was close to twelve hours of wear. I think it help up well considering I had a pretty oily pizza for dinner. There is a little bit of color loss towards the center of my mouth, but that is it. It also looks overly glossy, not really sure what caused that.
My thoughts about this product are this. First let me say, I really would not have ever chosen the colors that I was sent. I did end up liking Constant Toast, but Keep Up The Flame is not a color I would wear again. But I did absolutely love the formula. I think it put every other liquid lipstick I have ever tried to shame. There should be no reason that if this $10 lipstick can make a moisturizing long-wearing lipstick, then the $20 and and $30 ones I have tried can do the same. The one drawback is the selection of colors. They do have 30 different shades to choose from, but most don’t seem to be that different from each other. And there are definitely no fun shades.
I actually loved the formula so much I had to run out and buy some other colors. I haven’t gotten to wear all the colors I purchased, but I wanted to share some of the makeup looks I created both from the two I was sent, and from ones I purchased.
I did receive two of the lipsticks in exchange for a review, but all opinions expressed are my own. Let me know in the comments below if you have tried the Maybelline Super Stay 24 Color Liquid Lipsticks. If you have, what was your favorite color, and did you love these as much as I did?