The last time I posted about a new store was when Torrid’s sister store Lovesick came around, and of course we know the head corporation has put them on pause for now. But as of recent a few new stores in various categories have come under my radar. Some I found out about because the companies have reached out to me, and some I just happened to stumble upon myself. But I thought since I am still in that period where I am having issues with health, now might be a great time to do some less labor intensive posts like share some info on these new stores.
Today I want to introduce you to Riley Rose. I found out about Riley Rose when the company emailed me asking me to join their affiliate program. Now if you read my post about affiliate links, you know lots of companies contact me all the time. But 90% of them have no interest to me or have nothing to do with any of the things I blog about. But once I took a look at the Riley Rose website, I knew they were a company made for me and so many of you.
Riley Rose is a beauty and lifestyle brand created by the same company that owns Forever 21. Chances are there is not a store close to you at this point, as they are pretty new and only have a handful of stores. The closest location to me right now seems to be in Chicago. But the great news is we can always order over the internet and they offer free shipping with any order of $40 or more.
They carry a variety of makeup, skin care, hair care, accessories, and home décor. And while they are owned by Forever 21, they do carry things that will appeal to all ages. Just in the skin care line alone there is a range of high-end brands, indie brands, Korean/Asian brands, and brands that cater to the all natural lovers. There is something for every budget as well.
One of the things that stood out to me was the variety of brands that they carry are ones that I either already use or had a lot of interest in. The mix is typically ones I would have to shop two or three stores to get, or even in some cases purchase directly from the brand because I can’t find them anywhere else.
I have placed an order with Riley Rose, but we will talk about what I order once I get it. I most likely will do a review at that point. But for now I wanted to share a few of the interesting products that I spotted on the Riley Rose website. Each of the pictures will be clickable if you want to find the product on the Riley Rose website.
Quay Australia High Key Sunglasses
Tony Moly Angel Glow Ring Hair Mask
Decoflair Pineapple Luxe Candle
Lime Crime Diamond Crushers – Black Unicorn
Blossom Crystal Lip Balm – Purple Flower
Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow – Into the Blue
This is obviously just a small representation of the brands and products they offer. Make sure to check out the website for yourself. And tell me in the comments below what you think and what your favorite product is.
If you follow me over on Instagram then you already know that late last month I received a gift card from Sally Beauty. I decided the best way I could put this to use is to go pick up some of the new COL-LAB line and test it out for all of my readers.
In case you haven’t heard about COL-LAB yet, it is Sally Beauty’s latest beauty line. It launched just this November, so future reference that is November 2017. It was created in collaboration with several well know beauty influencers. In fact a couple of my favorites were involved, shout out to Dani from Coffee Break With Dani and Lizzy from What Would Lizzy Do. Eight different influencers were involved in this brands creations, each with different skin types and cosmetic preferences.
My goal when I went shopping was to pick up everything I needed to create a full face of makeup using just this brand. I did not include anything that I don’t do at least 50% of the time or more. For instance, brow product is not something I always use, so it was not included in my purchases. I also did not see an eyeshadow primer or setting spray in the store I purchased at, so I used my normal products for those.
So let’s take a look at what I got and my thoughts on each of the products.
1. Palette Pro Eyeshadow Palette in Best of the Day – This is one of five options in an 8 color palette. I picked this particular color option because I felt it had the biggest variety in colors and thus offering the most options of looks. However you will notice that my picture looks a bit different from what is shown on the website. I think that my picture more accurately shows the colors.
Overall I thought these were definitely quality eyeshadows. I found the colors to be very pigmented. They applied well to the lid with little to no dust pick up. I was able to create a few decent eye makeup looks. However, I had some difficulty blending them. They seemed to set in place quickly. Even though I felt this color selection had the broadest selection of colors, I still felt a little limited in what I created. That is not anything bad against the palette itself, I am just not the kind of person that is prone to doing the same makeup look more than a time or two. So for me, I prefer a lot of colors as options. If you are someone who does their eye makeup pretty consistently the same then this would make a great palette for you.
I will share my favorite look I created at the end of this post.
2. Soft Spot Sheer Blush in Meet Cute – Meet cute is a unique color, or at least I think so. It is sort of a mix of a red and a mauve with some brown thrown in. This is one of six color options available in this blush. It is a sheer buildable blush.
The first time I dipped my brush into the blush, I really thought this was going to end up being too much of a color for me. Just with the smallest of dabs my brush had picked up a ton of powder. But I am happy to say that it lived up to its claim of being a sheer blush. In some ways it reminds me of a NARS blush.
I chose a shade lighter than my skin in this powder because I was concentrating what I used on setting my concealer under my eyes and I wanted to brighten that area. However my under eye area is also really dry, so it is usually challenging to set my under eye area without leaving it looking cakey. This setting powder worked wonderfully though. And after a little setting spray it was practically invisible. I was highly impressed.
This is waterproof, which is something I almost always want in an eye liner since I like to put them in my waterline most of the time. I would have like to see more color options, maybe a beige skin tone and bright pop of color or two, but perhaps they will be adding more things like this in the near future. I did think it applied beautifully, and the wear was good. It did not outshine my very favorite eyeliner, but it takes a very close second place.
5. The Filter Highlighting Powder in Glow For Gold – This is one of four color options for the Filter Highlighting Powder. It has a soft silky texture. It is meant to give the skin a soft glow.
This highlighter is way more subtle in use than it looks in the package. Maybe a little too subtle for my personal preferences. But again this is a personal preference thing. I don’t really own any other highlight to compare to this one. But rather than it having glitter or a sheen finish it felt more matte. I thought the texture was wonderful and it did blend it very easily and I really liked that. This would be a great highlight for those of you who want to highlight, but don’t necessarily want to have all the glow on your face.
6. No Flaws Cream Concealer in Ivory/Sand – This is one of eight options for colors in this cream concealer. It comes in a twist up stick. It is made to cover both under eye circles and uneven skin tone.
Let me say first that I have tried a lot of concealers in a lot of different forms, and I have had an extremely difficult time finding ones I thought worked well on my dry textured skin, especially right under my eye area. It always seemed like they would either look cakey, settle in the fine lines around my eyes, or be so watery that they wouldn’t cover any dark spots. This concealer however is my dream concealer. It glides on so soft and smooth. It is super lightweight that you can barely tell you have anything on. Not drying or cakey and covers beautifully. It has never settled in a line or creased. I can’t imagine anyone designing a better concealer. This just blew all of the other concealers in the world out of the water. Seriously, you need to try this.
7. Full Body Lipstick in Really?? – This full body lipstick comes in sixteen color options and two finish options. Really??, the color I have is a matte finish. These lipsticks are designed to go on in a cream and dry down to either the matte or satin finish.
I thought that it applied and wore well. The color applied in one even swipe, which is really hard to find for me. Even though it is a Matte it was not drying. It is a very similar feel to Urban Decay’s Comfort Matte. And I thought the wear time was insanely good. I will definitely be picking up another shade or two to try at some point.
8. Bright Spark Radiant Foundation in Sand – The radiant foundation comes in ten color options. It is a low to medium buildable foundation. It is meant smooth and even your skin tone and leaving you with a soft radiant glow. (Side note: radiant foundations work best for normal to dry skin)
This is probably the product I was most hesitant to try since my experiences with drug store level foundations have not been good and I end up reacting to them. However, I am happy to report that I was very pleasantly surprised by this one. There was no detectable fragrance in this, so that is always a plus in my book. It comes in a bottle with a pump, so no touching the product or exposing it to the air unnecessarily. The foundation comes out in a very moussey texture and after applied dries down to a satin finish. The finished look, feel, and wear is very similar to the Nars Sheer Glow Foundation but with just a tiny bit more coverage. The color is a better match for me than any offered in the Nars line, at least at my current color level.
9. High-Rise Insane Length Mascara Extreme Black – This is one of three color options for this mascara. Made to lengthen and lift your lashes. Comes in a unique package with a long skinny wand. And I believe the brush is silicone.
This is fantastic mascara. Just like the foundation, I have struggled to find a drugstore level mascara that I really liked since they discontinued one I really liked years ago. I love the very skinny wand and brush design. This definitely makes my top five favorite mascaras. It wears and performs very similarly to Clinique’s High Impact Curling Mascara, but it is harder to remove.
There were definitely three stand out stars for me in the products I tried. It is probably pretty easy to guess that those are the No Flaws Cream Concealer, the Full Body Lipstick, and the High-Rise Insane Length Mascara. I also really enjoyed the foundation, but I don’t know that it was as much of a star as the other three products.
I think everything I tried were good solid products, even the things that were not necessarily what I would want for me. Nothing was an outright fail. There are definitely things I think that could be improved upon in the line, mainly the selection of colors in the face products. I really hope that they make an effort to add a broader range of shades over time.
Overall, I was really happy with this line. There are more things that I hope to try in the future that I didn’t try in this go around. Please let me know in the comments if there are any products in particular you would like a review of.
I did snap some pictures of my favorite makeup look I created when testing out this brand, and I wanted to share that with you.
Let me know in the comments below what you have tried from COL-LAB or what you are dying to try.
The gift card I used to purchase my products for this review was sent to me by Sally Beauty, however all thoughts and opinions expressed here are my own. My reviews are all completely honest.
Everyone has at least one beauty lover in their life. But picking a gift for a beauty lover can be difficult and overwhelming if you aren’t really familiar with all the brands and items. And many of the most coveted items can be pricey, and maybe not really in your budget for a typical gift. That is why I have come up with a list of the best gifts available this year for the beauty lover in your life.
I have broken this into three categories: Lips, Eye & Face Palettes, and Everything Else. Most of these items, but not all, can be purchased at multiple locations. But for the sake of this post I will be linking to the stores where I purchased from, unless I find it somewhere cheaper for you. The under $30 price tag is based on full regular price, so no chance for you to have to pay more.
1. Urban Decay Vice Lipstick – Holiday Kiss Collection – Sells for $17. I got mine in the color Rebel which is a Sephora-exclusive metallized nude shade of Urban Decay’s Vice Lipstick. This is perfect for the lipstick collector that loves limited edition.
2. Urban Decay Little Liquid Vices – Sells for $28. Know someone who loves liquid lipstick or has been wanting to try them. With this set you give them the opportunity to try four mini size shades for just a little more that the price of a full size. In this set you get to try two formulas, comfort matte and metallized. And you get the shades Backtalk, Amulet, Purgatory, and Crimson.
3. Urban Decay Little Vices Lipstick Kit – Sells for $25. You get five deluxe samples of Vice Lipsticks for about the same price of one full size lipstick. You get three finishes (cream, comfort matte, and metallized) in the colors Violate, 1993, Double Crossed, Love Drunk, and Mad. This is perfect for the lipstick lover who wants a variety of shades and/or finishes, also great if you are just unsure of what your beauty lover likes in a lipstick.
4. NYX Professional Makeup Meet The Metallics Lip Vault – Sells for $25. A lipstick vault is for the true lipstick fanatic. And you will be hard pressed to find a vault of any kind, even of a drugstore brand, for under $30. In this particular vault you get 12 lip colors. Despite what the name implies, not all of the lipsticks are metallic. You get 6 metallic shades and 6 soft matte lip creams. You get the colors Monte Carlo, Copenhagen, Paris, Budapest, Rome, and Dubai in each of the formulas.
5. Sleek Makeup Mini Major Matte Metallic Set – Sells for $10. (If metallics aren’t your thing, there is also a regular matte version available for the same price.) In this set you get four minis of what they call metallic matte lip gloss. To me I still consider this more of a lipstick, but you be the judge. But it’s definitely something every beauty lover will want to try. And at just $10 its affordable at even the smallest budget.
6. Sephora Favorites Give Me Some Lip – Sells for $28. These lip kits, as well as some of their other kits are quite popular at Sephora. I can not link to the exact one I am showing since I purchased it at a JC Penny’s Sephora and they have their own special ones not available online. However I am linking to one of the most similar ones in regular Sephora’s. I have bought them from both places as they offer different items at both locations. And often when the ones are sold out at regular Sephora’s then they still have plenty in JC Pennys. So always check there if you are looking for one of the Sephora favorites kits.
7. Huda Beauty Contour & Strobe Lip Set – Sells for $25. The Contour & Lip Strobe Sets are packaged in a covetable lip-shaped tin, each set features a full-size Lip Contour, a mini Liquid Matte Lipstick in a complementary shade, and a mini Lip Strobe. This set was originally offered in five shade combos at Sephora. Pictured above is Bombshell & Ritzy which has already sold out at Sephora, I am unsure about other sellers. There are still three shade options left that I think are equally lovely. There is Trendsetter & Snobby, Trophy Wife & Shameless, and Silver Fox & Angelic.
Eye And Face Palettes
1. bh Cosmetics Zodiac Palette – Sells for $21.99. In this palette you get 25 eyeshadows (12 baked shimmers, 12 buttery mattes) and 1 luminous baked highlighter. This palette is slightly reminiscent of the Kat Von D Mi Vida Loca Palette. I think this would be a great gift for any beauty lover who missed out on that palette or anyone who likes unique or themed palettes.
3. Wet N Wild Fantasy Makers Paint Palette – Sells for $13.78. This is a little different from the other palettes. Instead of traditional makeup its is face paint palette, so something for those in your life who love to do costuming and do a lot of makeup with it. The one I am showing is the pastel version, but there are several color options available.
4. Stila Written In the Stars – Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow Set – Sells for $25. (Please note this set has sold out everywhere since I started working on this post. However each of the shades in this set or there is a larger set available if you are looking for sets.) In this set you get three deluxe sizes of the Glitter and Glow Liquid Eye Shadow. Colors included are Diamond Dust, Kitten Karma, and Smokey Storm. These shadows are really fantastic and the perfect gift for the girl who want her eye looks to pop.
5. ColourPop Semi Precious Shadow Palette – Sells for $26.00. This palette contains 8 metallic shades inspired by star stuff and celestial lights. Available online at both Sephora and ColourPop’s websites. Also available in certain Sephora stores. This is a great gift for the Colour Pop fanatic or the beauty lover who always wants to try the latest thing.
6. Femme Couture Naughty Metals Eyeshadow Palette – Sells for $9.99. This palette contains 8 metallic shades perfect for those Holiday looks. If metallics aren’t your thing try the Nice Nudes palette. Really want to elevate your look? Get both and mix shadows from both palettes. The perfect gift for the beauty lover who follows the trends when you are on a tight budget.
7. COL-LAB Pro Eyeshadow Palette Best of the Day – Sells for $14.99. This palette is available in four varieties, I am showing it here in Best Of The Day. Each palette comes with eight colors in three formulas (matte, satins, and metallics). This is from the new exclusive collection at Sally Beauty created by some top YouTube Beauty Gurus. This is the perfect gift for the beauty lover who wants to support her favorite YouTuber.
8. Maybelline The City Mini Palette – Sells for $6.49-$9.99. I purchased mine through Amazon Prime Pantry. That is the cheapest place to purchase it but if you are not a Prime member, then you can also find it at Walgreens. This palette is available in 7 color options, pictured is The Urban Jungle. Each palette contains six shades that are a mix of mattes, shimmers, and metallics. These are the perfect gift for the beauty lover who likes experimenting with bold looks.
9. NYX Cosmetics In Your Element Shadow Palette, Air – Sells for $30. This palette is also available in Wind, Earth, Fire, Metal, and Water versions. The air palette features pastel shades to create ethereal looks. Each palette comes with 12 shade, all except he metal palette offer a mix of textures. The air palette has a mix of mattes, satins and shimmers. This is a perfect gift for the beauty lover who fancies herself a unicorn at heart.
1. Urban Decay Urban Lockdown Travel Duo – Sells for $19.00. This set includes an Optical Illusion Complexion Primer Mini and a Travel Size All Nighter Setting Spray. This is a great gift for the woman who is on the go all day and night, and needs her makeup to stay in place while she is out.
2. Love OPI, XOXO Mini 4 Piece Set – Sells for $14.99. This set comes with four mini colors that are perfect for the holidays. You get Ornament to Be Together, Coalmates, Holidazed Over You, and My Wish List is You. This is the perfect gift for the beauty lover who is obsessed with doing her nails.
3. Nails INC Sparkle Like A Unicorn Set – Sells for $19.00. This set includes one Sparkle Like A Unicorn printed sheet mask, two Mini Nail Polishes in Unicorn Vibes and Unicorn Dot Com, and one Lip Trippin’ Iridescent Strobe Lipstick in Unicorn Tribe. Unicorns are really popular right now with kids and kids at heart. This gift is perfect for the beauty lover who is all unicorns all the time.
4. Clinique Moisture Favorites Set – Sells for $18.50. This set includes three mini size products perfect for travel or just to try the products out. You get a Moisture Surge Hydrating Supercharged Concentrate, a Moisture Surge Face Spray Thirsty Skin Relief, and a Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Color Balm. This is a great gift for the friend that is more into skin care than makeup or someone who has dry dehydrated skin. This is a great choice for sensitive skin types, or if you just don’t know what skin type they have.
5. Bitzy Body Shimmer Spray – As you can see there is no link to this product. That is because since I started working on this post a couple of days ago every place that had it seems to have sold out, at least online. I bought mine at Sally Beauty, so you could possibly find some in your local store. If you want something similar you can get the Glitter Powder Spray from HUBEE on Amazon for around the same price I paid. I personally think this would make a great gift for a young beauty lover or someone who likes to sparkle.
6. Models Own Celestial Lip Glitter Kit in Rose Meteor – Sells for $14.99. Also available in the color Moon Dust. This kit comes with everything you need to do a glitter lip. It can be worn alone or over your own lipsticks. These would make great gifts for the beauty love who loves doing lip art or who follows all the Instagram trends.
So there you have my top picks for beauty gifts under $30. Tell me in the comments if you think I left something out that people should know about. What beauty item is on your wish list this year?
It seems like in the last couple of years, thanks mostly to YouTube and Instagram, everyone has been obsessed with achieving the perfect brow. The current trend seems to be a bold full brow with a nice arch. I have never been one to get onto brow trends for several reasons. I naturally have always had extremely thick brows with an arch that I thought was nice. I have also seen what over plucking can do, and trends with brows always change. So even if you don’t have the brow that is popular for the day, you will the next year or so.
That being said, I have been trying more brow products recently because aging is not my brows friend. My brows have been thinning and I seem to be getting some gray in my brows, which seem to leave them looking even more sparse than they are. I have been trying pencils, powders, and gels. I have even tried a couple of those weird staining products from Korea. In my search to find products to that work well for me I also have tried high end and drug store.
Today I wanted to focus on the Wet n Wild Ultimate Brow Mascara I have recently been trying out.
Prior to doing anything major to my brows, I would generally use a clear brow gel just to help tame my brows, and that is about it. And while I had not previously used any of the brow gel or mascara from Wet n Wild, I have found that out of the various pencils I have tried, they make the brow pencil that works best for me. But I was a little unsure when it came to the brow mascara whether it would work for me. I had previously tried several other brands, some I could make work some I couldn’t, none of them really gave me the results I wanted.
But when trying a new product to review we must go into it with an open mind, right? You also need to have a clear idea of what you want in a product so you can be objective on what you find to be good, bad, and neutral points. For me, I am not looking for those perfect on fleek Instagram brows. Here is what I am looking for:
1. something to fill in my brow
2. keep my brows in place without feeling crunchy
3. not make them thicker than they are
4. take minimal time and effort to use
My first thoughts when opening the bottle and looking inside was that the color looked really light. I thought for sure it was not going to match me. My second thought was that I did like how small the wand was. One of the previous brow mascaras I had tried had too large of a wand and it was too hard to control where the product went.
As you can see this wand is quite small. And when I got to actually try it out I felt I had a decent amount of control. I do wish the tip came to a slightly finer tip than it does, but that really is the only thing negative I could say about the wand.
Once applied I was happy to see the color was a better match than I thought it would be.
This is me without any makeup on, so no brow product in. I think by most people’s standards they probably wouldn’t understand why I wanted anything in my brow, but its one of those things that are about your own perspective.
And here I am with my brows done using the Wet n Wild Ultimate Brow Mascara.
This does go on very wet and takes a solid minute or so to dry down, or at least it did for me. During that time if you touch your brows, it is possible to spear the product and mess them up. However after it dries down it stays in place well.
It did leave my brow a little stiffer than what I would like, but it was not super “crunchy” feeling. However it kept them in place better than anything I have ever tried. And the speed and ease of use was great. I had both brows done in under two minutes. Three if you count the drying time. When I use a pencil, or even some of the other brow mascaras I have tried, the time is much longer.
Overall I am very pleased with the Wet n Wild Ultimate Brow Mascara. There are a couple of small things that I wish could be improved, but it is by far better than any other brow product I have tried and the price is better than most too. This will most likely be my go to brow product until I find something I like better.
Tell me in the comments below what your go to brow product is.
Just this past summer my local Walgreens made some major changes to their cosmetics section of the store. They started having staff on hand at the makeup counter all the time to answer questions and check you out. They now give product samples to you when you buy cosmetics at the beauty counter. And they launched two new lines in store that you don’t usually see at the pharmacy here. One was Soap & Glory and the other was No7 from The Boots Company. They both got pretty prominent displays near the front of the store and quite a bit of advertising.
I was not really familiar with either brand. Soap & Glory I had seen a few times when I was walking through Ulta in the past and random post on social media, but that was about it. And No7, I don’t remember ever hearing about it before, but since its launch in Walgreens I have heard a fair bit about how great it is.
I decided I wanted to make an effort to try some things from both brands. I mean with everything I had heard about both of these brands I should be able to find some solid items that I love. So back at the end of November I was walking through the cosmetics in Walgreens and I saw the first of the Christmas products was out. I noticed No 7 had a little eyeshadow palette out.
It is called the Glamorous Nudes Eye Palette. This palette is available both in store and online, but it does say it is limited edition. The colors looked good, and it was only $10, can’t go wrong. At least that is what I thought. Yeah….Spoiler Alert!!! I didn’t like this palette.
I generally don’t like to do negative reviews, but this is one of those things that if I can help someone save their money I have to do it. Don’t get me wrong, there are some aspects of this palette that I liked, but we will get into that as we go. First lets take a look at the actual product.
The palette itself feels pretty sturdy, I am actually not sure if its metal or plastic. My best guess is its a very light weight metal. The size is about the size of my hand. As far as packaging goes this was one area I really liked about this palette.
As you look inside there is a full mirror on the top od the case. I also liked that about the palette. I am afraid that is where the positives stop for me and it all goes down hill.
There is a small brush included with the palette, however it is pointless in being there. I don’t mind small brushes since I have hooded lids, but this brush does not pick anything up and is not full enough to use as a blending brush.
There are eight colors included in the palette. Nowhere online or on the packaging tells you names of the shadows or what type they are. The cardboard overwrap may have had something on it, but that got tossed in the trash before I even thought about writing this post. So since I have nothing to go by I will give you my best educated guess as to what is included and a description of the colors.
There appear to be four satins, three shimmers, and one glitter eyeshadow. Starting at the top from left there is cream color(satin), a peachy flesh tone (shimmer), a light silvery blue (glitter), a grayish brown(satin). Then on the bottom row from the left a light tan color(satin), a sort of bronzy brown(shimmer), light taupe brown(satin), and a medium brown(shimmer).
I did finger swatches below for you. They are in the same order as listed above. The first two shadesare barely visible at all because of how close they are to my skin tone. As I said, these are finger swatches, yet you can see that they still are barely visible. Usually finger swatches will give you better coverage than what a brush will, and that is still true here.
I tried to take pictures once I did an eye look with these shadows, but there was really no point. There is just no pigmentation. Even with lots of build up they barely showed up on me. The only one that had any amount of color was the one glitter shadow, but you can’t really make an eye look with it alone. And when I tried to add multiple colors they really all started to muddy up and look alike.
I would not recommend this palette, not even for a gift. I am on the paler side and I couldn’t get these shadows to show up on me. You might, and this is a big might, have better success if you fall in the porcelain range of skin tones.
I personally am passing mine on to my very young teenage niece who wants to start playing with makeup. The pigmentation is so little in this, I figured she can’t do much damage with this. Not much chance of having overdone eyeshadow when she walks out of the house.
In case you are for some reason not familiar with Sephora’s VIB Sale, it happens twice a year. Once in the Spring and once in the Fall. It is the only time you can get a discount on any item of your choice, and it’s a hefty 20% discount at that.
If you are VIB Rouge then your time to buy just ended. It was from November 4th to the 7th. Next up are the VIBs, and then followed by the Beauty Insiders. Don’t worry though, you will get notifications when its your turn to shop the sale.
So I wanted to share some recommendations with you. I thought about trying to rush and get these up before my fellow VIB Rouge’s started shopping, but I realized that once you reach VIB Rouge level your pretty solid on knowing what works for you and keeping up with new great products on the market.
My pick are a decent mix of both makeup and skincare, as well as splurge pieces and great gifts. You won’t find anything over $75 on my list, and there should be something in everyone’s budget on the list. At the end there will also be a few pieces that I will share a picture and the name of the item, but they are sold out online. I wanted to share anyway because many times they are still available in stores.
This is not only a great moisturizer, but it also has SPF included and it has a subtle blurring effect. It’s great for those days when you want something more than bare skin, but you don’t really want to put on makeup.
Even without the 20% discount this set is a great deal to be had. As you probably know Algenist is a pricier brand. If you read my review of the Sephora Play Box, then you know that one of my favorite things I have gotten in the box is the eye balm from Algenist. The full size Eye Balm runs $68 by itself, so for just a few dollars more you get two more products with it. This is defitely something splurge worthy, especially if you have started to develop those fine lines around your eyes.
I listed this kit in the skin care area, but technically 1/3 of it is makeup. If you have read any of my past skin care routine posts, then you know that both the Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief Moisturizer and The Overnight Mask have been long time favorites.
I don’t know about anyone else, but I struggle all year round with my lips being dry and peeling. And when the weather starts to turn dry and cold things just get worse. This set from Glam Glow is the perfect thing for the girl, or guy for that matter, that wants to keep their lips sexy and kissable soft.
This is the only eyeshadow palette I have bought this year. I have considered a couple of others, but for one reason or another never bought them. But this one is perfect for anyone who loves color, glitter, and is tired of a thousand palettes that all seem to look the same. I have no regrets with this palette, and the looks I have been able to create have been endless.
I must admit I am a little lipstick obsessed and I want all the colors if I love a formula, but I only have one mouth to put it on. That is why I love these mini sets. So much easier to use these up and try a variety of colors. Or if you wanted you could also break them up and use them as stocking stuffers. And just a bit of a warning, if you don’t like peppermint you won’t like these. All of Buxom’s lip products have a somewhat strong peppermint scent and the sensation that goes with it.
If you have been dying to try one of the Juicy Shakers for yourself, this is the perfect way to do it. One of the Juicy Shakers usually runs $21 by themselves, but in this set you also get one of Lancôme’s lip liners for the same price. And the soothing oils in a Juicy Shaker is exactly what your lips need during the oncoming winter.
These mini sets of the BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfectors have been released in the previous years, but this is the first year to my knowledge that they have had this set in Moonstone. While everyone has been raving about Opal for a while, I personally find Moonstone to be more flattering.
I had recently tried many of the perfumes from this particular brand. I would not hesitate to say you can not go wrong with any of them. I have enjoyed all of them. None of them have bothered me or my fragrance sensitivity. And they are all unique. This one has been my favorite out of the ones I have tried so far. They describe it strictly as a tropical scent, and I suppose it is, but it kind of reminds me of tropical mixed with Christmas. And you are probably thinking that sounds horrible, but it actually works and smells wonderful in an unexpected way.
Sold Out Online Sephora Favorites
Sephora’s website is currently saying the following sets are all sold out. But check your local stores to see if they have them. Also check back to see if maybe they restock these online.
Sephora Favorites – Glow For It
Sephora Favorites – Give Me Some Lip
Sephora Favorites – Sun Safety Kit
Tell me in the comments below what your top pick for the VIB sale is. Or did you already shop with the VIB Rouge group? I would love to hear what you got.
Thanks to our friends over at Influenster I got another VoxBox. This time it was a much coveted makeup box. I received the Maybeline Super Stay 24 Color Liquid Lipstick in two colors. I was sent Constant Toast 136 and Keep Up The Flame 025. These lipsticks are available in 30 different shades. You can see a full list of colors available here.
Constant Toast looks a little like a light brown nude in the package, but on the lips it looks more like a pinky peach nude. And Keep Up The Flame is a brick red color, though I thought the it looked slightly more like a true red on the lips but not by much.
In my voxbox it came with a card that had instructions for application and a list of product claims. I would like to note that there were no instructions on the actual products on their boxes. I think that without the instructions, this could be a product that could go terribly wrong.
So first lets talk about what the product claims to do. Here is what is says:
Meet the wonder that stretches the limits of longwear lip color, SuperStay 24 Lip color. This longwear lip color won’t cake, dry, flake, or fade thanks to our unique Microflex technology that leaves lips feeling fresh through 24 hours of wear.Sounded great to me, but I was more than a bit dubious. It’s hard to not be doubtful. I have tried so many liquid lipsticks and it seem like you have two option. You can either have the super matte liquid lipsticks that last a long time, but not a full 24 hours. And you still can’t really eat and drink what you want with them on without them wearing off, and usually in a really unflattering way. But with these you have to worry about them being painfully drying, or if your like me and have natural lip creases from birth and dry lips they look horrible on most of the time. Or you can choose the non matte ones, and they will last a little longer than a traditional lipstick and wear away gracefully, but the extra time they last is just not that much. And at least they aren’t painful on the lips. But to find a color that will last through anything and not be drying? Really.
So to give it the best chance of working the way it says it would I also wanted to follow their instruction. Here is what it says to do:
Apply liquid lip color to clean, bare lips. (Helpful tip: if you have dry and/or peeling lips it is best to use a lip scrub and balm prior to application, just make sure to wipe it off prior to use.)Allow two minutes to dry, then apply the ultra conditioning balm to seal in moisture. (Helpful tip: don’t allow your lips to touch during the dry down time.)
Reapply balm as needed. (I found for me personally it was mainly necessary after eating and drinking.)
Remove with an oil-based makeup remover.
The helpful tips parts are my own notes I wanted to share after some trial and error. The rest was what was on the notecard.
I wanted to really test these out fully. It said it would last 24 hours so I decided I was going to wear one of them a full 24 hours even if that meant sleeping in it. So I tested out Constant Toast first because it was the lighter color and I didn’t want to end up with red all over my sheets just in case it did have transfer. I used my cell phone to take these pictures so I would be sure to have a time stamp. So let’s go over how each of these lasted through the day, and then I will give you my thoughts on the product.
Here is a closer look at what Constant Toast looks like. It’s very obviously a nude color. I wasn’t really planning on going anywhere the first couple of days that I tested these lipsticks out, I decided not to bother with any other makeup. I only concentrated on the application of the lipstick and checking in often to see how it was wearing.
Here I am applying Constant Toast at 5:16 A.M. in the morning. You can see constant toast is pretty close to my own lip color. It’s probably what some people would call a better than my lip color, but I don’t know that I think that.
After applying I had my morning coffee like I do every morning when I first get up.
And this is my first check in at 5:43 A.M. and everything still looks good.
At 8:39 A.M. is the first time I feel compelled to use the lip balm again. I wasn’t to the point where my lips felt painful, but its like it would be on the average day when I would use a regular lip balm.
I had to run to my mail box and decided to do a check in while I was in the sunshine. This was at 12:32 P.M. As you can see it still looks fully in tact.
When I got back from running my errands I had a light snack and this left me needing to apply the balm again at 1:39 P.M.
And here is my last check in for the day at 5:37 P.M. after dinner. I did reapply the balm one more time before going to bed.
And after sleeping in the lipstick all night long here is my last check in after waking up at 5:00 A.M. You can see that it is still there, however some of it has worn off in spots. And of course my lips are a little dry looking. I of course have no way of knowing at what time it started to wear off since I was asleep.
Up next was the color Keep Up The Flame. I felt like I had already tested the formula well, so I didn’t really need to test it to that extent, but I did still do some check ins during the day.
It is obviously a brick red color. A little on the dark side, but not super dark.
This was not long after I applied the lipstick. It actually looks okay in the picture, but this color was very hard to apply. It kept wanting to slip outside the lip line. Once the dry down happened there were no more problems, it was only while trying to apply it. I wore it a second time and had the same issue, but it was some easier if I wiped a lot of the product off of the applicator.
This was more to the end of the day. It was close to twelve hours of wear. I think it help up well considering I had a pretty oily pizza for dinner. There is a little bit of color loss towards the center of my mouth, but that is it. It also looks overly glossy, not really sure what caused that.
My thoughts about this product are this. First let me say, I really would not have ever chosen the colors that I was sent. I did end up liking Constant Toast, but Keep Up The Flame is not a color I would wear again. But I did absolutely love the formula. I think it put every other liquid lipstick I have ever tried to shame. There should be no reason that if this $10 lipstick can make a moisturizing long-wearing lipstick, then the $20 and and $30 ones I have tried can do the same. The one drawback is the selection of colors. They do have 30 different shades to choose from, but most don’t seem to be that different from each other. And there are definitely no fun shades.
I actually loved the formula so much I had to run out and buy some other colors. I haven’t gotten to wear all the colors I purchased, but I wanted to share some of the makeup looks I created both from the two I was sent, and from ones I purchased.
I did receive two of the lipsticks in exchange for a review, but all opinions expressed are my own. Let me know in the comments below if you have tried the Maybelline Super Stay 24 Color Liquid Lipsticks. If you have, what was your favorite color, and did you love these as much as I did?
I know I have been slacking a bit since the giveaway, but my apologies. I have been overwhelmed with a multitude of things to do on top of being sick for two weeks. But I am back, and hopefully will be able to stay on track. I have several things backed up that I wanted to post about, but I will have to keep them on the back burner as I can’t let this post slip buy.
If you spend any amount of time on the internet, social media especially, that this past Friday June 26 the Supreme Court ruled that gay marriage was legal nation wide. Now it just so happened that in the town I live in our Pride Festival was already scheduled for Saturday the 27, and I had already made plans with friends to go in support of so many people I love that are a part of the LGBT community. It definitely made for an even more joyous occasion than usual.
You may be asking yourself what this has to do with fashion or even body positivity. But really at the heart of both of those topics, at least when its concerning plus sizes, is equality. We all just want to be treated equally. We want to be offered the same selection of clothing as misses sizes. We want the same respect shown to us as the so called “regular” sizes. And I personally think that no matter which group makes a stride in equality its a step forward for all of us. We should support and respect one another.
I unfortunately did not snap a picture od my outfit from yesterday, but I did get a selfie of me and my husband that showed off my fun eyeshadow. And I wanted share some of the highlight pictures of the fun outfits other people had on and activities going on at Pride Fest.
Me & My Husband
My Friends The Weavers
Me & My Friend Libby Weaver Playing With One Of The Many Cutouts To Help Celebrate Marriage Equality
So my much talked about and awaited (and unfortunately delayed) cosmetics giveaway is finally here. First I want to say, as much as I would have liked to have had some sponsored items to giveaway, I was not able to arrange it for this particular one. It may still happen in the near future, but just not now. So what does that mean? It simply means instead of the companies sending me some things to give you, I footed the bill for this giveaway. Why? Because I really think giveaways are fun, and its a way for me to do something nice for you, my readers.
Now, lets get down to what brought us all here, the giveaway. Here are the details on what you can win.
2 Third Prize Winners
will receive the Complete Timey Wimey Set in sample size from Geek Chic Cosmetics.
Geek Chic’s eye shadows are pigment shadows, so this will actually last longer than your average sample if used right.
If you would like to see what’s included in this set click here.
1 Second Place Winner
will receive the following items from Geek Chic Cosmetics:
Simply enter below by following the instructions in the Rafflecopter box. You will have chances to earn extra entries all week. Prizes will be drawn on the evening of Friday June the 12, with an official announcement on Saturday. All winning entries will be confirmed before announced as winners.
ATTENTION: Please be aware the rafflecopter box below will ask you to sign in to register for the giveaway. This is not the same as signing up to comment on the blog. To leave a blog post comment, please scroll to the bottom of the page and choose a sign in method. Then leave a comment in the comment box.
I don’t claim to be a makeup artist or cosmetologist, I just really love makeup. And I like supporting companies that actually make products I can use with my allergy that is still a good product. Thankfully I am not as limited on makeup as I am on skincare, but there are still a number of brands I can’t use. So I don’t plan on reinventing the wheel with my makeup look posts, and I will be linking to some YouTube videos when I feel they are more explanatory than I can be or if they can show the product better than I am able.
Just a brief side note: Some items talked about in this post may be in the upcoming giveaway.
I recently had a girls day with some friends, and per usual I got made up for my day out. I decided to wear a great new dress I had got from ModCloth (which I am sure I will do a post about soon) in a beautiful aqua green color. Along with it I had the perfect necklace and earrings from Bella Jack that is ocean themed. So I really wanted to do my makeup in something that felt appropriately matching. And here is what the overall look came to be:
I then cover my entire eye lid with Ulta’s Eyeshadow in Bone. This color is very close to my skin color and I used it strictly for a base/blending shade.
Next I used Starry Eyed and Pegasus from Makeup Geek’s Foiled Eyeshadow collection. Starry Eyed was applied in the center of each lid and Pegasus was applied to each corner of the eye. Then they were carefully blended together. If you haven’t had a chance to use these foiled shadows, you must give them a try. I feel my camera washes the color out a bit, so I want to let you see a couple of videos to see swatches of all the great colors available. And who better to show it than my fave Vlogger Vintageortacky.
Video of the Original shades
Video of the newest shades
I then used my Physician’s Formula Eye Definer Automatic Eye Pencil to do a subtle reverse cat eye.
And I finished my eyes with Clinique’s High Impact Curling Mascara. Do not confuse this one with just the High Impact Mascara, they are different. The High Impact Curling Mascara is a tubing mascara and will not smudge. It only comes off with really warm water and a cloth. It gives you the look of wearing false lashes with just one application of mascara.
I then gently swept a little of Dim Light from Hourglass’s Ambient Lighting Palette all over my face.
I then used Geek Chic Cosmetics Doll Cheeks as a contour and PB for Blush.
Finally I went back to my Ambient Lighting Palette to get Incadescent Light to highlight with.
And the final step to make everything complete is the lipstick. For this I used my Nars Satin Lip Pencil in Yu.
So I want to hear from you. Have you tried any of these products? If so what did you think? Do you have a favorite indie brand cosmetic company that everyone should know about? If you could pick one item to be in the giveaway that I used in this look, what would it be?