What Is Really Included In Your Amazon Prime Membership
So if you are like me then you probably don’t read most of the emails you get from companies you buy from. This includes Amazon. So unless it’s really brought to your attention, you may not know exactly what is included in your Amazon Prime membership beyond the couple of things your signed up for.
For the longest time I didn’t realize there was anything more than free prime shipping and prime video. I slowly started to learn about some other benefits, but I still didn’t realize the full extent of what you get with Prime. So when I recently posted about the new service Amazon is starting, the soon to be Amazon Wardrobe, I did quite a bit of research and discovered some things I didn’t know was available to Prime members. And since there seems to be such a big response to the posts I do about Amazon, I thought I would start talking about more of the things you can get through Prime and occasionally reviewing some of them as well as some of the add-on services you can sign up for.
The Cost Breakdown
I am guessing most of you know at least the basics of Amazon Prime. But just in case you didn’t here is a quick rundown. Amazon Prime will cost you $99.00 a year, or alternatively you can choose to pay monthly at $12.99. What many people may not know is that if you are a family that is on a tight budget and gets any sort of assistance through an EBT card, then you qualify for a discounted option called Prime Discounted Monthly Offering. If you don’t already have Prime, then you can get a 30 day free trial to either Amazon Prime or Prime Discounted.
First, lets talk about the two things that I consider the basics of Amazon Prime. I think these are the benefits the average person is going to be more familiar with from Amazon, and it’s certainly what springs to mind for me first when I think of Prime. How familiar you are with other benefits are probably going to depend a bit on when you signed up for prime and if you read Amazon emails.
First you have Prime Shipping/Prime Delivery, where it all started. Now not everything on Amazon qualifies for Prime Shipping, but you will know what does by the bright blue Prime written out by the price. You can also narrow your searches to look for items only available with Prime Shipping. So what does Prime Shipping consist of? You get:
- Free Two-Day Shipping: Millions of items delivered fast and free.
- Free Same-Day and One-Day Delivery: Order in the morning to get free delivery before bedtime on more than 1 million items. Or get One-Day Delivery on qualifying orders placed by the afternoon in certain cities. Look for the Prime logo.
- Prime Now: Skip the trip and get FREE 2-Hour Delivery on thousands of items.
- Free Release-Date Delivery: Be among the first to get new video games, books, music, movies and more. Choose Release-Date Delivery on qualified items and receive your package by 7 p.m. on that date.
- Free No-Rush Shipping: Don’t need your Prime order right away? Select No-Rush Shipping and earn rewards for future purchases.
So if you shop through Amazon a lot, getting a Prime Membership may be worth it for just Prime Shipping. It is definitely something to factor in if you are trying to decide when making the decision to purchase a membership.
The other service I consider a basic is Prime Video. Prime Video is a section in Amazon’s own streaming service that has thousands of movies and television shows you can watch for free with your Prime Membership. And just like Netflix and Hulu, Prime Video also has their own original content in addition to movies and shows that you may be familiar with from other sources. I highly recommend The Tick and Good Girls Revolt.
I feel the rest of the options you get with Prime can be put into one of three categories. There is shopping and entertainment extras that come with your Prime Membership, and then there are a group of things you can upgrade to.
Inside the category of shopping there is a really large range of perks that come with your Prime Membership. Here is what you get:
- Early Access To Deals: Get 30-minute early access to Lightning Deals on Amazon.com.
- Prime Exclusives: Amazon’s hand-picked products offered exclusively to Prime members.
- Alexa Voice Shopping: Shop for millions of items with Alexa and reorder the things you use most.
- Alexa Voice Deals: Prime members can shop with Alexa and receive an additional discount on select deals.
- Prime Pantry: Low-priced everyday essentials in everyday sizes delivered to your door for a flat delivery fee.
- Amazon Family: Up to 20% off diapers and 15% off eligible products from your baby registry.
- Amazon Elements For Prime: Enjoy access to Amazon’s own line of everyday essentials. (This is Amazon’s own line of natural products and vitamins.)
- Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card: Eligible Prime members earn 5% Back every day on all Amazon.com purchases, in addition to rewards everywhere else you shop.
- Amazon Prime Store Card: Eligible Prime members can get 5% back every day on Amazon.com purchases and access to exclusive financing offers.
- Prime Reload: All Prime members can earn 2% rewards on their debit spending when they reload their Amazon.com Gift Card Balance with a checking account.
- Amazon Dash: With a simple click, Prime members can use Dash Buttons to order favorite products.
- Wickedly Prime: A line of distinctive food and beverages, available exclusively to Prime members. (This is Amazon’s own line of snacks and drinks.)
And while Amazon doesn’t list it on their page as a benefit for Prime Members, Prime Samples is also exclusively available to Prime Members. Prime Samples are a selection of products you can purchase in sample size, either individually or in sample boxes. Upon purchase you get a credit for the same amount to go towards purchasing a full size.
Obviously Prime Video would fit into the entertainment category, but we covered that in the basics of Amazon Prime. What else is there? Surprisingly quite a few things. Here is what you get:
- Prime Music: Stream more than 2 million songs, plus thousands of playlists and stations.
- Audible Channels: Unlimited listening to original audio series and playlists handcrafted for every interest.
- Prime Reading: Prime Reading gives you unlimited access on any device to more than a thousand eBooks, popular magazines, comics, books with Audible narration and more.
- Amazon First Reads: Read one of next month’s new releases now for free.
- Washington Post Free Trial: For a limited time, enjoy unlimited access to The Washington Post with a six-month free trial.
- Twitch Prime: Get free game content every month, ad-free Twitch viewing, Twitch Channel Subscription and more.
- Prime Savings In Video Games: Prime members get exclusive discounts on pre-orders for PC, PlayStation 4, XBox One, Wii U, 3DS and more.
- Prime Photos: Free unlimited photo storage for you and five others. Plus, upgraded search helps you find photos fast.
- Share Your Prime Benefits: Link your account with one other adult to share shipping, streaming access to movies and TV shows, Audible Channels and more for free.
There are even a few great upgrades you can add to your Amazon Prime Membership.
If you really enjoy your Prime Music you can upgrade to Amazon Music Unlimited. You can get a 30 day free trial, and after that a membership start at $7.99 a month. Price will depend on which plan you pick. With the unlimited plan you get way more music choices, its ad free, and you get unlimited skips.
You can also upgrade Prime Video with various Amazon Channels. You can add HBO, Showtime, and/or Starz as well as a few other options. Additional channels cost between $4.99 and $14.99 a month. The great news is you do not have to have cable to subscribe, just Amazon Prime.
Amazon also has a special service you can upgrade to just for the kids. It’s called Amazon FreeTime Unlimited. It lets you have unlimited access to thousands of kid-friendly books, movies, TV shows, educational apps and games. It costs $2.99 a month.
And finally there is Amazon Fresh. It is just $14.99 to add Amazon Fresh to your Prime Membership. This is Amazon’s grocery delivery service, and its only available in certain areas. Unfortunately it’s not available where I live at yet. With this service you will be able to place your grocery order and get it as soon as the next day without every having to leave your house. This just might be my dream come true, and I will definitely try this one out at least for a bit once it’s here.
As you can see there is a lot to Amazon Prime now. As I mentioned at the beginning of this post I want to start reviewing some of these perks and things you can get through them. I already have ordered one of the sample boxes and I thought I would start there, so look for that review soon. If there is anything in particular that you would like reviewed or talked about let me know in the comments below so I can move it up in priority. Also let me know how much you knew about Amazon Prime. Was any of this a surprise? If so what?
Please note that some text links on this site may lead to affiliate links. However your prices will not be affected and you are under no obligation to use my link. Thank you to all who help keep this blog up and running.